Shahida Shahid thought to have told Almost Famous about her allergies
She ate a chicken dish
A student who died from an allergic reaction after eating at Almost Famous is thought to have told the restaurant about her allergies.
Shahida Shahid died from severe brain damage Monday after eating at the Deansgate branch on Friday.
Now police say staff at Almost Famous told Shahida that a chicken dish would be fine for her to eat after she flagged up her allergies.
Shahida Shahid, a first year student studying Mathematics in Manchester, died last Monday following three days in intensive care.
She collapsed the previous Friday following a meal out at burger restaurant Almost Famous.
Now, an inquest has heard that she informed the restaurant of her fatal allergies prior to being served. She was then advised by staff that a chicken burger would be safe for her consumption.
Detective Inspector Chris Flint said at the inquest: “It is understood the dish did contain or was cooked in one of the ingredients she was allergic to.”
Shahida, from Worsley, is understood to have suffered a number of allergies, including nuts and dairy, alongside asthma. She collapsed around 8:30pm in Withy Grove, over half a mile from the restaurant where she had eaten dinner. Her epi-pen and inhaler were used but had no effect, and she suffered cardiac arrest. After three days in intensive care, she passed away.
A post-mortem revealed the cause of death was brain damage due to lack of oxygen from the allergic reaction.
This confirmation follows after Lisa Ahmed, who posted on Facebook claiming to be a cousin of the victim, said: “I’m one of her cousins and just to make it clear she did specifically tell them she had allergies.”
Farjana Alam, a relative, initially posted on Sunday to Facebook saying: “Everyone please keep my cousin in your prayers.
“She is in the ICU, has gotten brain damage, and she isn’t being responsive. Every prayer counts.”
Sadly, on Monday she then said: “To God we belong and to God we return. My beautiful, brilliant, kind, loving cousin has passed away.
“Please everyone keep her in your prayers. I still cannot believe she’s gone and my heart aches with pain that she has left the world.
“May Allah grant her mercy and take her to the highest of Jannah. Everyone please pray for her and her family’s strength.”
Over 60 comments leaving tribute to Shahida have been left on one news report alone.
Prior to the inquest, a spokesperson from Greater Manchester Police said: “Initial inquiries have established the woman had been out for a meal in the Great Northern Warehouse prior to her collapse and may have suffered an allergic reaction to her food.
“A joint investigation is currently underway involving Greater Manchester Police and the Food Standards Agency to establish the exact circumstances.”
Almost Famous Burgers said it would be “inappropriate to comment” while an investigation was underway. However, company director Marie Carter said: “We are absolutely devastated to hear the tragic news that this young lady has passed away.”
A Manchester City Council spokesperson said: “We’re aware of a tragic incident which took place over the weekend and will now be working alongside Greater Manchester Police to establish what happened as well as preparing a report for the coroner.”
Meanwhile, a Food Standards Agency spokesperson said: “An incident in Manchester involving a fatality potentially linked to an allergic reaction to food has been reported to the FSA and an investigation into the exact circumstances is underway.”