In pictures: All that went on at UCU’s ‘historic’ strike rally in London

Staff, students, supporters from other unions, and many politicians were seen at the demonstration

On Wednesday, 30th November, striking staff of the University and College Union (UCU) and supporters held a massive rally and march in London.

Participants came from across the capital and beyond calling for improvements in pay, pensions, and working conditions.

It was part of UCU’s ongoing industrial action, with the union claiming over 70,000 members nationwide participated in three days of strike and other industrial action this month.

Rally at King’s Cross

By 1pm, attendees packed the pavement outside Kings Cross station, creating a sea of pink hats and signs – the colour of UCU. They heard from many speakers like the head of UCU Dr Jo Grady, former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, and representatives from other trade unions – such as the UNISON for professional services workers and the UK rail union.

March through London

Following the hour-long rally, attendees took to the streets of London for a march to chants like “Whose universities? Our universities!” and “Students and workers, unite and fight.” Streets were blocked off for the march by police, while passing drivers honked in support. 

This rally and march marked the last day of UCU’s planned strike action so far, but action short of strikes (ASOS) is ongoing.

Shortly after the demonstration, UCU reported they had “constructive discussions” and will be having “urgent negotiations” with university leaders to settle their disputes regarding pay. But they have previously said that if no acceptable resolutions are reached, there might be further strikes and escalating actions, like marking boycotts, in the new year.