Charity created in memory of ‘inspirational’ Liverpool graduate who died from meningitis

Looky’s Aid will support children from disadvantaged backgrounds in honour of Lucas Martin

A charity has been created in memory of a University of Liverpool graduate who died from bacterial meningitis.

Lucas Martin died suddenly in September of this year after contracting the infection.

His family have since founded Looky’s Aid in memory of the 21-year-old to offer young people with a “spark” who faced challenges with support in tuition or pastoral care, BBC reports.

The charity will support underprivileged children with pastoral care from the Isle of Man, where Lucas was from.

A recent graduate from the University of Liverpool and a keen sportsman, the charity is named after Lucas’  nickname “Looky”.

Graduating with a degree in international business studies in July, his family have said it seemed “certain he was destined for a bright future.”

The charity will support young people from the Isle of Man who have suffered challenges to overcome their adversity and flourish. Lucas’ father, Brett Martin, said that he hopes that the charity will make sure Lucas’ selflessness nature lived on.

Brett said Lucas was “lucky to be born into a comfortable, stable family” which had “helped him along the way.”

He continued: “Lots of kids have that spark but don’t have those advantages and their life chances are being held back by that.”

Lucas had a close circle of friends, who are determined to help his legacy live on. A football match was also held in Lucas’ memory recently, which raised £4,500 for Looky’s Aid and friends have since begun fundraising for a memorial garden for him.