How Sport Liverpool’s Movember campaign has helped beat the November blues

Uni of Liverpool’s sports teams have been braving the shave and going back to baby faces – find out what else they’ve been up to!

With deadlines, cold weather, and Christmas still being a little too far off, November at uni can be rough. However, Movember is the perfect excuse to get stuck in raising money, alone or with a team, for an important cause. Each year, the Uni of Liverpool sports teams get involved by growing out their facial hair, completing physical challenges and arranging fundraiser events.

Movember draws attention to a variety of men’s issues, aiming to generate resources, support and a safe space for men to speak about their health and wellbeing. They work to support causes like suicide prevention, prostate cancer and testicular cancer.

Here’s some of our favourite ways that Sport Liverpool teams are raising money for Movember this year.

Men’s rugby union

Men’s rugby held the LURFC Movember Charity Ball, generating over £3500. They also completed a 24 hour cycle, and members climbed Mount Snowdon in budgie smugglers. Troopers.

Men and women’s hockey

Hockey brought back their 24 hour row outside the sports centre over the 16th and 17th of November, and their Sunday Funday took place on the 26th.

Men’s cricket

Cricket got involved with a 24 hour football match, as well as a wet sponge committee in the middle of campus (brave). They also took part in a football match with LJMU cricket, climbed Mount Snowdon, and ran the equivalent distance to Barbados (3333km).

Korfball

Korfball raised money with a charity tournament alongside the University of Manchester Korfball team, of course sporting some impressive moustaches.

Athletics

The athletics club have taken part in a 24 hour treadmill challenge, and also completed an impressive five miles every four hours for 24 hours.

Tennis

Tennis hosted a mini-tennis charity tournament, and members climbed Mount Snowden last weekend carrying tennis gear.

Ski and snow

Whilst the ski and snow men are growing out their facial hair, the women are running 60km over the month.

Netball

Netball members have run 60km individually and held a charity tournament alongside other sports on the 25th.

Whilst November is coming to an end, there is still time to donate, or to raise money yourself! Head over to the sports clubs’ Instagram pages to find their individual Movember links, or find clubs on the Movember webpage.