How to dress for the Summer Ball

Flapper dresses at the ready

20s ball fashion flapper dress gatsby guild guild summer ball liverpool miss selfridge river island summer the great gatsby topshop

With the Guild’s Summer Ball fast approaching, it’s time to decide whether to go classic Gatsby or take a modern twist for the roaring 20s theme.

For guys, a 20s theme is relatively simple. A smart suit pretty much covers all grounds, but don’t forgot the dicky bow and waistcoat. It might be slightly more difficult for girls, but luckily there are a number of ways this theme can be approached.

Glamorous and jewelled is a must for this theme, and so Miss Selfridge is the perfect place to start with such a wide variety of sequinned and glitzy dresses. The dress is perfect with its mass of glitter and elegance.

It’s pretty pricey at £120, but it is worth it for such a beautiful dress,

Still following the glam theme, these dresses capture the Art Deco trend which epitomises the Gatsby style, for a fraction of the price.

£55.30 in the sale

IMG_5053-1

Dazzle 1920s style for only £65

IMG_0960-1

Black Fringed Slip dress from River Island at £42

Endless hours of fun

Topshop Black Fringed Dress, £60

If classic 20s isn’t your kind of style, there are many modern dresses which still capture the decadence and style associated with the era. If fringed dresses aren’t your thing, don’t be afraid to experiment.

Miss Selfridge Embellished Top £65, perfect for pairing with a black or white dress

Miss Selfridge Silver Playsuit paired with a draped pearl necklace

For a more modern 20s look, River Island’s summer collection showcases numerous pieces which can be styled to create any look you fancy. If full 1920s attire doesn’t appeal to you, opt for some of these Gatsby inspired garments.

Metallic A-line skirt, £35

Black tassel cami £25 and an Embellished Kimono at £50

Cream Embellished Kimono £50

Pair this Black Embellished Top with a skirt for an alternative to a flapper dress

A-Line Skirt £35

Another way in which you can channel your inner Daisy is through hair accessories. Big head pieces are typical of the 20s, and so once again jewels and glitz are essential. This piece is from new look and is perfect for a Gatsby inspired ball.

11258994_823931221022556_1587713020_n

Pearls, gloves and feather headpieces are also perfect accompaniments to your outfit. Just remember, more is more when it comes to the roaring 20s.