The hangover map – a tour to cure the night before

You wake up just a few hours after a big night and you feel absolutely horrendous. Where do we go from here?

| UPDATED brookhouse hangover liverpool smithdown tavern

You have a banging headache, a disgustingly-dry mouth and an overwhelming sense of regret.

The next course of action you take could define just how successfully you recover from your latest hangover.

Let us direct you down the right path…

University of Liverpool Gym

If you can muster up the enthusiasm, sweating it out in the gym is a popular hangover cure.

• The gym suite itself is a good option for pumping away your pain.
  • Avoid anything too vigorous, a spinning class is sure to make you sick and the shouting will destroy a delicate head.
  • For UoL students, a membership is £202 year or £190 for 9 months.

Or you could make your own gym in Abercromby

Tavern Co. Mexican BBQ

If the gym sounds a bit much The Tavern Company Mexican BBQ, on Smithdown Road opposite Penny Lane, is ideal for a pick-me-up breakfast.

• The full English (winner of the ‘Nation’s Best Breakfast Award 2014’) is pretty special, and if you’ve got a sweet tooth the pancakes are mind blowing.
  • Perhaps avoid the ‘Mexican’ breakfast; the hot pepper sauce might be a step too far for an edgy stomach.
  • The ‘Full English’ comes in at £6.95 with the blueberry pancakes set at £4.50. There’s also free tea and coffee for an extra caffeine kick.

Make sure to try the award-winning brekkie for yourself

Greenbank Park

For some the perfect hangover cure is pure relaxation, and if you fancy making the most of the dregs of the summer weather, a quick sunbath in Greenbank park, just off Greenbank Road, is ideal.

• There’s no shame in having a quick nap on the grass by the lake.
  • Avoid any kids playing football. Nothing brings on a headache more than a high-pitched scouse accent.
  • It’s free – which is good after you’ve blown your loan on booze.

Hatta

If you’re looking for relaxation with a bit more grit then Hatta Thai massage parlour on Smithdown might just tickle your fancy.

• A massage is bound to bring you out of your grim state – the smug look on the face of exiting customers is sure proof of this.
  • Avoid any ‘extra services’, they might sound attractive, but I imagine they might be a bit pricey.
  • A massage is £20 for half-an-hour, but at £35 its probably better value to bite the bullet and go for an hour.

Cinema

The Odeon in Liverpool One is a good option to whip away your grim state of mind.

• I recommend a steady comedy or even a rom-com to for laughing the blues away, and if worse comes to worse, a dark cinema is ideal for a nap.
  • Avoid anything too scary, complicated or jumpy – it won’t do your delicate head any favours. Also the stairs on the way in might be a bit ambitious, go for the escalator.
  • A student ticket is £7.85, or £5.50 on ‘Bargain Tuesday’. Also, on a Wednesday if you abuse your student discount and drag along any mates with an Orange Wednesday code, you can cut that price tag in half and get the added bonus of feeling like you’ve beaten the system.

Brookhouse

If you prescribe to mantra that ‘what makes you bad makes you better’, then the Brookhouse, opposite Tesco on Smithdown Road, will sort you out.

• Pop down on a Thursday for student night and pick up a refreshing pint of Carlsberg or Strongbow for £1.25.
  • Its probably best to avoid any questionable cocktails, they might not be the thing for a wobbly stomach.

Fact: ‘hair of the dog’ works.

Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral

If all else fails to get rid of your nausea and banging headache, you can always turn to divine intervention and pray for recovery. Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral is right next to University of Liverpool campus.

• Morning prayer starts at 7.45, but if that’s a stretch, evening prayer begins at 5.45.
  • Probably best to avoid it if its busy, last thing you want is the judgement of Liverpool’s religious crowd.

The cathedral in all its glory.

Bed

If all else fails and you can’t bring yourself to face the world, stick to the oldest cure in the book; stay in bed and eat industrial amounts of food.

Too hungover to work out how to get there? Follow our detailed map: