Controversial Cleric Visit Cancelled: A Valuable Opportunity Lost?

A planned visit to UoL by a homophobic preacher on the 12th November has been cancelled. But should it have gone ahead?

This week students at the University of Liverpool had been severely troubled by news of a planned visit from outspoken cleric Mufti Ismail Menk. Menk, described by the Muslim Students Association (MSA) as a “broad minded, popular motivational speaker”, has in the past raised doubts regarding his broad-mindedness through open, vicious attacks on homosexuality.

Describing the gay community as “filthy” and “worse than dogs and pigs”, the speaker has provoked anger and disgust on a global scale through his aggressive and forthright anti-gay sentiments.

Understandably the prospect of the cleric’s visit provoked passionate response from students and societies alike, with the university’s LGBT society threatening to protest if the event were to go ahead.

Mufti Ismail Menk has described homosexuals as “worse than dogs and pigs”

In response to this active opposition, the organisers of the cleric’s UK tour have “cancelled” all university talks “until further notice”. For some, Menk’s planned visit would have overstepped the boundaries of free speech and also undermine the Guild’s safe space policy. Yet despite whole-heartedly sympathising with the victims of the cleric’s attacks, I have been left disappointed by the decision to cancel the visit.

While our student population generally shares common values of liberty and equality, this “ethical conscience” (as described by Daniel Newman of The University of Liverpool Humanists Committee) differs from the perspectives of many individuals and groups around the world. Even when faced with the most horrifying belief systems (such as Menk’s equating of consensual gay sex with rape), we must recognise the role of subjectivity and more importantly the role of interaction when challenging such ideas.

When BNP leader Nick Griffin appeared as a guest on Question time back in 2009, this platform was used for dialogue, debate and ultimately the exposure of Griffin’s ghastly political agenda. Through similar means, the ugly elements of Menk’s viewpoint could have been challenged in a way that was constructive, organised and much more fulfilling for those who wish to question these beliefs face to face rather than from the refuge taken behind a keyboard.

For many young people, opportunities to encounter such prolific ‘thinkers’ so intimately come few and far between. Screaming at the TV during Prime Minister’s Questions or rolling your eyes in dismay in response to a comment made on Question Time can be the height of many people’s involvement with high-profile debate and prominent figures.

Menk’s nationwide tour has been cancelled

The prospect of this bigot descending upon our campus may indeed have seemed like an unwelcome trespass onto our united moral consciousness. However the occasion would have provided a valuable opportunity for meaningful debate and a chance for like-minded individuals to flex their intellectual and ethical muscles in the name of an incredibly-worthwhile cause.

Mufti Ismail Menk’s visit to the university certainly wouldn’t have been a low key affair, but it most definitely would have complimented the democratic culture that underpins the university.

In the face of even the most divisive politics we must come together as a united moral consciousness to combat this malice through the powers of questioning and debate that are afforded to us as free-thinking individuals. Our collective voice must not be drowned out by the squeal of this unfeeling swine. A voice will only be heard when loud enough.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter