Eatery of the Week: Barburrito

The Tab’s resident food connoisseur rates Liverpool’s best student eateries.

Barburrito is essentially a Mexican version of Subway (and who doesn’t love Mexico? EH?!) but with fresher, tastier food and friendlier staff!

Located next to the Odeon in Liverpool ONE it’s the perfect pre-Orange Wednesday meal and is really well priced too. It can get extremely busy though so I wouldn’t recommend rolling up 10 minutes before your film starts expecting to be able to nosh down your burrito on time.

One of them burritos from Barburrito

One of them burritos from Barburrito

While there isn’t a huge selection of food your burrito is made exactly too your specifications – it’s like the Saville Row of mincemeat – and everything is prepared that day. They even boast that they make their own guacamole, which is delicious; you can find the recipe on their website too.

You can choose between a burrito, soft or hard tacos, nachos, or a burrito bowl. Then you move along the bar adding your fillings, sauces and any extras. When I went recently they had a brilliant ‘taster’ offer on giving me 3 tacos for just £5. I tried all the fillings (except the vegetarian option – which just looked like a lot of mushrooms) however my friend said that they (the mushrooms) were quite nice. The chicken and chili beef were particularly good but the steak was just ok, bearing in mind the speed of service means they can’t exactly cook it to order.

The vegetables, salsa and guacamole were great and you could tell they were fresh and for those of you who don’t like things too spicy you can choose a milder salsa, rather than the standard spicy salsa they offer. Don’t get too carried away with your extras however, as they charge up to £1 for each one.

Bottomless sodas are only £1.60 or you can get a Mexican beer for up to £3.50 if you fancy treating yourself/are on a big one and they always have deals on and hand out vouchers at every student event.

You Mexi-can eat at Barburrito (Sombreros not included)

While Barburrito is not as cheap as Subway it makes up for it in taste. The atmosphere is excellent and the staff are friendly, even on a busy Saturday lunch time. So if you’re a fan of Mexican food or just fancy something different to McDonalds or KFC I would definitely recommend Barburrito – just don’t expect any sombreros because it is actually a completely English owned company!