The Leeds Tab is recruiting for its editorial team!

Think you could be Editor, News Editor, Features Editor or Social Editor?

Applications are now open to join The Leeds Tab’s editorial Team for 2021/2022, and we want YOU!

The positions available are Editor, News Editor, Features Editor, and Social Editor.

Working for an editorial team, you’ll receive training from the current Leeds editorial team and The Tab UK team who oversee everything we do. Previous Tab editors have gone on to work for The Tab UK, Gal-dem, The Times, The Guardian, VICE, and more. If that’s not exiting enough, you’ll even get your very own Tab t-shirt.

You don’t need to have written for the Tab before, but a little bit of journalistic experience will help you stand out.

The application deadline is 5pm Friday April 10th, 2021.

Look, we have so much fun

Here are the details about the roles you can apply for:

Editor

The Editor will be responsible for overseeing everything published by The Leeds Tab. You’ll edit articles, keep track of content, hype-up and manage a large team of writers, and be responsible for organising meetings and training.

You will work closely with the News, Features, and Social Media editors to make sure everything is on track, and you will also write multiple news stories and features a week.

You need to understand The Leeds Tab’s tone of voice and vision, be organised, creative, enjoy a fast-paced work environment, and be a good leader.

News Editor

Do you always know what’s going on in Leeds before all of your mates? If so, News Editor could be the perfect role for you.

You’ll need to have a good understanding of what Leeds students care about. You have to be able to quickly spot breaking news and what’s trending around Leeds, and have a good eye for rogue story ideas. You also need to be a speedy and succinct writer, a good communicator and a great leader so you can work with your writers to produce both fun and important news stories.

You will also write stories every week (including features, if you want!) and support the Editor by editing news stories.

Features Editor

You’ll be in charge of devising, commissioning, writing, and editing our features, as well as working with your writers on developing their own ideas. These can be funny, informative, or serious. You will also make quizzes and run competitions.

You’ll have to know loads about Leeds and what students are interested in to make both timeless features and stories off the back of serious and funny things that are going on in Leeds. Importantly, your perceptiveness and attention to detail when it comes to Leeds stereotypes needs to be on point to make articles resonate with our student audience.

You’ll work alongside the Editor to head-up a team of writers also write stories yourself every week, and edit pieces.

This role requires you to be super creative, inquisitive, and a great writer.

Social Editor

As Social Editor, you’ll run The Leeds Tab’s social media accounts.

This will require you to be interested in analytics, be able to find and produce memes (think starter packs and trending memes) and pretty pics of all our favourite Leeds spots, and post consistently, and run interactive content.

You’ll share articles, memes, photos, and sometimes report live events on Stories. You’ll also have the opportunity to create long and short form video content for our socials. We mainly use Instagram and Facebook, so you’ll need to be really familiar with those platforms.

You’ll need to be engaged, organised, consistent, and creative to take on this role. One of the main things we want from our Social Editor is the ability to come up with and execute new ideas to keep our audience engaged and grow our reach. A tiny bit of social media or design experience will help you stand out.

You’ll even get to socialise with each other after lockdown restrictions end

How to apply

If you’re interested in any of these roles and you think you’ve got what it takes, fill out the form below. To apply, you have to be a student at any university in Leeds in the 2021/2022 academic year.

You’re welcome to submit an application for as many roles as you like, just click “submit another response” once you’ve finished the survey.

The application deadline is 5pm Saturday April 10th, 2021.

If you don’t fancy becoming an editor, we’re always looking for new writers. DM us on Instagram to get involved.

Good Luck!

Loading…

Due to the number of applications, only successful applicants will be contacted. You can apply for multiple roles by filling the form out again.

All roles at The Leeds Tab are unpaid.