A simple guide to checkin’ yourself

This is for guys, gals and non-binary pals…so everyone pay attention

As students it can be easy to forget the necessities in life, like texting your mum to say you’re alright, even having one of your five a day, and checking your boobs (and pecks, I see you uneducated males looking at the screen like what does this have to do with me).

This month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and in order to prevent late detection, we’re going to give you the way to do it at your own comfort. You don’t have to sit down for 20 minutes a day and have a good ol’ rummage, it can be as easy as having a feel in the shower now and again. The quicker you know your own individual norm the easier it will be for you to know if something is up.

Ignore the blogs that say if you have lumps and bumps get it checked because some people have natural lumps and bumps within their chest. So I reiterate, the quicker you know how you feel the simpler it becomes to feel something unnatural.

Why is this important? Because it’s a no brainier when it comes to the facts. If Breast Cancer is found at Stage 1, you stand a 9/10 chance of surviving. However, if its found at Stage 4, your odds lower to 1/10 and us students (18-24) are the lowest demographic when it comes to checking ourselves and we need to change that. In the UK, one in eight women are affected by Breast Cancer and 400 men diagnosed per year so it's important to take hints from these handy pointers:

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure

@kh_petrichor

Look

Is there any nipple discharge?

Is there any changes in skin texture?

Is there any swelling in your armpit or around your collarbone?

Is there any rash or crusting around or on your nipple?

Has there been a sudden change in your size and shape?

Has your nipple changed direction or become inverted?

Feel

Any unusual lumps or thickening?

Constant or unusual pain around the breast/ armpit area?

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Text

@kh_petrichor

There isn’t a strict guide on how you should check yourself, you could just do this in the shower or wherever you feel comfortable from time to time and just get to know your normal. Don’t forget to feel your collarbone area and armpit area too as this can also show symptoms. Always, always remember: that if you are in doubt, absolutely get it checked out.

@kh_petrichor

Talk to your local Uni Boob Team if you have any questions or want any boob goodies and if you would like to receive FREE texts from Coppafeel! (would recommend reading their site if you want to research into checking yourself more) every month that reminds you to check yourself (I signed up and the texts are punny and light hearted) text UBT LEEDS to 70500.

Photo Creds: @kh_petrichor