Leeds has been named the best city to live in in the UK

The judges must have been to Fruity

birmingham city england leeds life living manchester property uk uni yorkshire

Leeds has been named the best big city to live in in the UK.

The capital of the North beat Manchester and Birmingham in MoneySupermarket’s 2015 quality of living index.

Leeds residents enjoyed a higher average annual salary of £22,419, compared to £19,801 in Bradford and £20,382 in Sheffield.

Leeds’ house price affordability was excellent as well, working out at an income multiple of 6.6 compared to 7.7 in Birmingham and 9.2 in Bristol.

The city has a low unemployment rate of eight per cent, compared to 10.3 per cent in Birmingham and 10.6 per cent in Liverpool.

The weekly cost of living in Leeds was found to be £377.60, a lot cheaper than Bristol at £445.50 and London with £480.60.

Leeds City Council leader Councillor Judith Blake said: “It’s hugely encouraging to see Leeds recognised as the country’s best city to live and work in and that the standard of living here compares so well with other big cities across the UK.

“That’s a massive endorsement for everyone who works so hard each day to make Leeds such a vibrant and successful place.”

“We’ve faced some challenging times together in recent years, but something we can take pride is the fact that we’ve managed to buck the trend and continue thrive as a city, hosting world class events like the Grand Depart and the MOBO Awards, and having a strong, resilient economy against the backdrop of a tough financial climate.

“We have some incredibly exciting things to look forward to as well, like next year’s Columbia Threadneedle World Triathlon Leeds, the opening of the landmark Victoria Gate development and our bid to be named European Capital of Culture 2023, so we’re confident that Leeds is going to get even better.”