Review: Peace at Nation of Shopkeepers

Saturday 28 October saw the venue put on an array of music nearly as unique as the establishment itself.

lara thomas leeds tab Peace at Nation of Shopkeepers the tab leeds university of leeds

First were Forloco. If the success of a live show was solely judged on the quality of outlandish shirts then these guys would give The Rolling Stones a run for their money.

Sadly, the music was disappointing, lacking any sense of direction or timing. Perhaps this was down to the fact that their lead guitarist had won a trip to Iceland, so the nerves of the guitarist filling in got the better of him?

Next on were Carousels. Sadly these budding young musicians failed in both departments. The need to use as much distortion on a guitar as the lead singer thought necessary is beyond me. The walls were shaking, but for the wrong reasons.

As Carousles departed,  it was time to see what Peace could do. The foursome from Birmingham did not fail to impress. The short set packed a punch.

What is so refreshing about this band is that their sound is forward looking. Constituted by impressive harmonies, powerful drumming, slick bass lines and cleverly crafted rifts; evidently these chaps will not quickly float away into the forgotten undergrowth.

California Days is already a classic. It evoked a warmness, synonymous with front man Harrison Koisser’s oversized winter jacket, “I shouldn’t have worn this winter coat”, he jokes, “I don’t know what came over me”.

The band’s decision to interpret Binary Finary’s trance classic 1998 was inspirational. Listen to this on record and you will be left feeling impressed. Listen to it live, and their riveting interpretation will knock the stuffing out of you. This was a ten minute sucker punch.

Finishing on their current single Bloodshake the crowd left feeling that this band will not be going away any time soon.