Lancaster Uni to host international Futures studies conference in 2024

The Anticipation conference will coincide with the university’s 60th anniversary

Lancaster Institute of Contemporary Arts (LICA) have announced that the university will host the Anticipation conference in 2024.

Previous host cities include Trento, London, Oslo, and most recently, Tempe, Arizona.

It is expected that the conference will take place in late summer or early autumn 2024, though dates are yet to be confirmed.

The flagship international conference in future studies was launched in 2015 and explores how arts, social sciences and humanities help us to understand and respond to the challenges that the future presents us with.

In the past the conference has  included Futures scholars and practitioners from the UNESCO Chairs on Futures Literacy, Responsible Foresight, Anticipatory Systems, as well as government and industry professionals.

Dr Carlos López Galviz will chair the conference after leading the bid, and said of the opportunity, “Hosting the Anticipation conference is a great honour and timely challenge, not least because of the international recognition of the work by several Lancaster colleagues in this field, including our work in Social Futures.”

“The conference provides an open, supportive, and interdisciplinary environment to test radical ideas and approaches to engage with the future in inspiring new ways.”

The conference will coincide with the 60th anniversary of Lancaster University, and will showcase research, teaching and engagement on Futures across all subjects. It will also allow for an international community of experts and colleagues at all levels and from across the globe to network.

Related articles recommended by this writer: