Don’t think you’re special because you’ve been to Thailand

It’s the new Maga

backpacker flashpacker holiday ibiza john moores magaluf noad sun thailand

As if hipsters taking over most clubs, bars, and Bold Street wasn’t enough, we’ll give you three guesses where they’re all heading this summer to “find themselves”. 

It didn’t seem as bad when Ibiza first made it onto the cards, and the not so pleasant memories of that time in Maga. But now wannabe backpackers have made Thailand the hot new strip, and it’s a full blown crisis on the summer holiday scene. The venture to the Far East was once an ideal travelling destination, before college drop outs and that weirdo you pulled in first year rocked up on the white, sandy beaches.

You know the kind that pair up too many prints in every outfit

Graduation no longer seems like a distant vision in the future anymore, so let’s face it, an ideal holiday is certainly on everybody’s wish list. But blowing all the remains of your student loan on a two week holiday to Thailand (that is also out of full moon season), does not and will not make you special.

During those ever so special library breaks at Aldham Robarts, it’s inevitable not to find at least three people sat around you on STA travel, just oozing with “wanderlust”. Yet, two minutes later it tends to be an immediate scrolling through those crazy pre-holiday pictures from last year.

A mystical trip to the Far East is something most of us would be up for. Then finding half of the year of 2015 there, and some second years that are trying to merge on to the scene doesn’t present itself as the best experience.

Because elephants are the only animals you ever come across in Thailand…

You’ll have to rule out anywhere surrounding Thailand, too, if you really want to escape the whole of John Moores abroad. You know now everyone has also taken up those six week placements to teach English in Sri Lanka or Indonesia. It’s becoming difficult to spot yourself an original holiday without looking like a hipster who’s just joined the crew.

In fact, Asia just won’t be the same for the next few years. The main attraction always happens to be how ridiculously cheap it is for pretty much… well everything. So banging on about how “cool” you are because you made it on a plane past Spain this time isn’t going to cut it. With drinks costing less than £2, the fact you’re on a sandy beach isn’t winning you brownie points. Sound like a normal Tuesday night in Bumper anyone?

DIY sarong making is just the thing for summer

Nothing screams “spiritual journey” like Thailand. The months of walking around in yoga pants and enough sterling silver on your fingers to establish you as a “cool hippy chick” are about to pay off. Lounging on a beach with incense burning and soothing meditation music – what more could you ask for?

Well that’s the thing: it isn’t as tranquil as you thought it’d be, because everyone is there, dressed like you, talking like you, and, well, being you. So much for being ”different” you’re not.

You need to give these poor souls credit for trying. For all we know this could be the pivotal moment where their life begins. Rather than being lost and helpless, it’s all starting to make sense thanks to that big holiday in Thailand.

Was it all worth it in the end? I guess we won’t know until the new craze appears, but until then we may as well get used to hearing nothing else till winter arrives.