There will be a vigil at Glasgow Uni to mark the one year anniversary of the Ukrainian war

There will also be a demonstration held at George Square

Later this week, a vigil will be held to mark one year since the war began in Ukraine.

The vigil will be held in the Memorial Chapel from 12.30pm to 2pm on Friday the 24th of February 2023.

There will be a chance to pray, light candles and plant sunflower seeds, as well as the opportunity to hear more about the crisis from staff and students.

Since the war began on the 24th of February 2022, Ukraine has been the epicentre of tragedy. The war has meant the death of thousands of Ukrainians and Russians, as well as causing the migration of 8.1 million Ukrainians.

The email students received in regards to the vigil and other ways to show solidarity with Ukraine

In an email sent out to all students, the university has issued a statement as to other ways the university intends to mark the anniversary. As well as hosting the vigil, the university “will fly the Ukrainian flag on our Gilmorehill campus.”

The email continues: “The University’s Ukrainian Student Society will also be marking the day with a series of events and an information stand in the foyer of the James McCune Smith Learning Hub from 9am.”

One event the Ukrainian society is planning on attending is a demonstration at 3.30pm on Friday the 24th of February at George Square. This will then be followed by a procession through the city. The society are also hosting a poster-making workshop the day before, Thursday the 23rd of February, in Boyd Orr room 709AB.

To hear more about the events planned by the Ukrainian society, make sure to give them a follow on Instagram or Facebook.

The Tab has covered the war extensively in the last year, hearing from Russian and Ukrainian students and alumni of the University of Glasgow, speaking to a Ukrainian Strathclyde student and attending events across Scotland to show solidarity with the Ukrainian people.

Unable to attend the above events? We’ve also collated a list of ways students can help, which can be accessed here.

Related stories recommended by this author: