What to wear for every night out in Glasgow

Even if you’ve been million times it’s hard

Attention freshers. Or those of you who have been restricted to partying in your local area over the festive period.

The semester has started and of course we are about to embark on the overload of “reunion” nights out. So if your slightly out of the loop with what the dress code is for your local uni night hot spots, here is the ultimate guide with what to wear.

Glasgow girls

Kushion

ALWAYS fancy. Even if your mate tries to text you whilst you’re getting ready to say, “just throw jeans on” – it’s a trap. Do not settle for jeans. Unless you intend on teaming your high-waisted Joni’s with a ridiculously embellished top and the tallest pair of heels you own, always opt for a dress.

Pazzaz yourself the F up ladiez

It could be a uni night, or a pay-day Friday – just know that you should be dressed. Even if you physically cannot bear the thought of heels, make sure the rest of what’s going on is ten out of ten. Basically, if you’re struggling to breathe and can barley walk then you’re doing it right. It’s freezing in Glasgow, so until at least June, please stick to arse and thighs covered. Legs out – fine. But please, say no to loose cheeks. Save some jiggle for behind closed doors.

Shimmy

Another relatively fancy occasion. Particularly if your venturing to this electro/house/RnB club in Royal Exchange Square at the weekend – you should dress up, way up. Backless tight dresses, bandeau baby doll dresses, all black halter neck jump suits – all acceptable in this club. You can really go as far as you like on the fancy scale at Shimmy as long as it’s the weekend.

Channel your inner cocktail susage

The week nights are home to a more casual approach – maybe some jeans and a blouse could do the job. Boys – you could go as far as a jumper on a Wednesday, but make sure it’s a decent one. Don’t take that note too literal and attend the next “No Way Wednesday” with a worn out Cederwood state hoody on.  Keep it sorta dressy.

SubClub

Put all heels, skirts and dresses away. Go to your dad’s wardrobe. Seek the brightest patterned shirt he’s ever worn on holiday. Team with any other garment that is labelled with a sporting brand. You now have the adequate attire to go to Subclub. It only takes one trip to this place to know that dressing up for this venue is very big no-go. Baggy Tees and crop tops are strongly advised because things are about to get very sweaty in there. Hair bobbles are also advised.

Your mum’s favourite silky blouse from the 90s and all things Adidas is what this grungy little underground club is all about. The more sports gear the better. Worried your LA GEAR jumper is taking the vintage look a bit too far? Have no fear. Not one toss will be given at subby. If you want to wear just one dangly cross earring, and a small stud at the other side – even better. There really isn’t a limit to the catastrophic outfits you see put together for a night out at this joint. Therefore, as long as you don’t look like you’re ready to sit down at a booth with a magnum of Prosecco – anything goes.

Viper

Viper is casual with a small side of fancy. You can really dress down in Viper, but If you want to wear your heeled boots that’s ok too. Make jeans or a basic skirt the foundation of your viper outfit, and then just add a bit of decoration.

Boys have it easy too, whatever you would wear to uni on a good day – is perfectly acceptable in this laid back west end venue. It’s a jeans and shirt friendly zone that doesn’t require a lot of effort. You may spot the odd lass or fella who’s decided they want to look better than the rest of their mates for the night – but don’t let it make you weary about the flats you’ve got on, you are fine.

Anything goes

ABC/Jellybaby

OK so if you’re in your final year, you might be over it – but to those loyal fans and the incoming freshers Jellybaby might still be an option for your Thursday sesh. This night has a “come as you are” vibe.

If you’ve ended up at the pub for a couple of beers after class and its led to an entire night out, you don’t have to go home and get changed before coming here. Jeans, leggings, trainers, jumpers, hoodies, converse, ankle boots, checked shirts – all is welcome at Jellybaby. Your outfit for the evening will likely be the last thing on your mind if this is your chosen venue for the night. Think less about what you’re wearing, think more £6 venom buckets.

Do what you like

Cathouse

All black everything – but not in the Jay-Z sense. Think darkness, vans and band Tees. If you have black Converse, do not even think about wearing another type of shoe. This venue gives you the opportunity to find your inner Billie Joe Armstrong.

If you’ve not been to Cathouse before, just base your outfit on what you would wear if your hungover but you need to run to the shop. Something baggy, something black and if you’ve got something with a black and white chequered pattern on it – you’ve pretty much aced the standard catty dress code. Be fierce.

He was a sk8r boy she said cya l8r boy