Nicola Sturgeon announces end to most Covid-19 restrictions in Scotland

The changes will take place on August 9th

Nicola Sturgeon has announced that from August 9th almost all of Scotland’s remaining Covid-19 restrictions will be lifted.

Social distancing will no longer be mandatory in most situations, meaning pubs and restaurants can have larger capacities, and there can be bigger crowds at sporting events and concerts.

There will also no longer be a limit on the number of people allowed to meet up in any given space, such as inside the home.

Nightclubs are also set to reopen on the 9th.

Face coverings will continue to be mandatory in most enclosed spaces such as shops, hospitality venues and public transport. Hospitality venues will also still collect customer details for track and trace.

Other changes to restrictions include close contacts of those who test positive for Covid no longer needing to self-isolate, but only if they are fully vaccinated and give a negative test.

Nicola Sturgeon’s full statement listing these changes to restrictions can be found here.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Nicola Sturgeon promises students will be vaccinated by Welcome Week

Everything you need to know about Edinburgh uni’s TestEd Covid testing project

• Edinburgh uni is paying cost of hotel quarantine for students from red list countries