Image may contain: Building, Landscape, Symbol, Nature, Outdoors

Edinburgh council looks to improve student housing and increase regulation of short-term lets

They are seeking to increase regulation surrounding student accommodation and short term holiday lets

As part of a ten year plan towards 2030, Edinburgh Council is seeking to increase regulation surrounding student accommodation and short term holiday lets.

It's no secret that Edinburgh is one of the most expensive student cities to live in. The 2019 Royal Bank of Scotland Student Living Index ranked Edinburgh the city with the 8th highest student rent in the UK, averaging at £519.3 per month, well above the national average of £485.

According to a new consultation report, Edinburgh Council plans to deliver 20,800 affordable homes and 22, 600 market homes, as well as increase the provision of affordable housing requirement to 35%.

The report also states that Edinburgh Council is seeking to implement more regulation over short term lets.

This will affect hosts on platforms such as Airbnb, who earn an income from putting their properties on the market for seasonal tourism, especially during the summer.

The outcome of the consultation will be revealed following the consultation next week.