Homophobic slurs hurled at Edi student by pupils from top local Catholic school

The American Masters student says he has been left ‘heartbroken’ by the incident.

This Tuesday afternoon, Tyler Thompson, a Counselling and Psychotherapy Masters student at the University of Edinburgh, was on the receiving end of a number of homophobic slurs from students at a top local school, St Thomas of Aquin’s High School.

Thompson told The Scotsman the students were “mucking around,” and “throwing food.”  When some nearly hit him, he asked the students to stop.  In response they made homophobic insults towards him and ridiculed his American accent, telling him to “go back to his own country.”

Thompson said said he was shocked by what happened and was “fearful” it could happen again.  However one pupil did follow him in to apologise, something he says he was “touched” by.

A spokesman for Police Scotland said: “Police in Edinburgh are investigating after a 27-year-old man was harassed by a group of youths at a supermarket in Simpson Loan sometime between 12pm and 1pm on Tuesday, October 3.”

“There will be additional patrols in the area and we will be working with the local schools to raise awareness that this behaviour is totally unacceptable. Anyone with information is asked to come forward.”

The headmaster has personally contacted Thompson to apologise.

(Photography credit: Tyler Thompson)