A comprehensive list of famous Durham alumni

Find out what famous faces may have frequented SNK back in the day

Durham University has many successful and well known graduates, from politicians to journalists, and even the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Could you be featured on this list one day?

George Alagiah

The journalist, best known for being the lead presenter of the BBC News at Six, studied Politics at Durham as a member of Van Mildert.

Image via YouTube

Alagiah was an editor of Palatinate, as well as a Sabbatical Officer at the Student’s Union.

During his time at Durham, Alagiah met his wife, Frances Robathan.

Alagiah passed away in July 2023, after being diagnosed with cancer in 2014.

Ed Gamble

The comedian studied Philosophy and was in Hatfield.

Image via YouTube

He was a member of the student sketch group the Durham Revue, which helped kick start his comedy career.

Nish Kumar

The Grey college alumni studied English with History.

Image via YouTube

The host of The Mash Report was also a member of the Durham Revue during his time at Durham, where he met and became friends with Ed Gamble.

Gabby Logan

Logan studied Law from 1992 – 1995, and was in Hild Bede college.

Image via YouTube

She then went on to become a television and radio presenter, and hosts Sports Personality of the Year.

Mo Mowlam

The Labour politician was in Trevelyan College and studied Sociology and Anthropology. She also became Vice President of the Student’s Union.

Image via YouTube

As Secretary of Northern Ireland in Tony Blair’s cabinet, she oversaw the signing of the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.

Mowlam passed away aged 55 in 2005, after being diagnosed with a brain tumour.

Alice Oseman

The best-selling author studied English from 2013 – 2016.

Image via YouTube

The St. John’s alumni wrote Heartstopper which was turned into a popular Netflix series.

Oseman also wrote Loveless, which tells the story of first year students settling into first year at Durham University.

Tasha Stones

Stones was the first deaf contestant on the Great British Bake Off.

Image via YouTube

She graduated in 2018 with a degree in Anthropology as a member of St. Chad’s college.

Jeremy Vine

The television and radio presenter studied English from 1983 – 1986, and was in Hatfield college.

Image via YouTube

He performed with the Durham Revue, and was an editor of Palatinate.

He has his own shows on BBC Radio 2 and Channel 5 where he discusses current affairs.

Justin Welby

The Archbishop of Canterbury graduated from Trinity College at the University of Cambridge with a degree in History and Law. He then went on to study Theology and Ordination at Durham.

Image via YouTube

Welby was in St. John’s college and graduated in 1992.

Related articles recommended by this writer: