Durham Students’ Union gives the go-ahead for some societies to meet in person

For now, it only applies to art and media-based groups

In an email sent to members of DSU-affliated society Executive Committees, the DSU has announced it is preparing for Phase Two of its return to running in-person society events by providing Covid Officer training.

The news that Phase Two is set to go ahead comes after Durham was placed in a Tier Two lockdown, with further restrictions set to follow. With households currently unable to mix, the rule of six still applying, and the University reporting over 1,200 cases of Covid since the start of term, it is as of yet unclear how the DSU plans to ensure and enforce Covid-safe conditions at society meetings.

Phase Two is due to launch on 26th October and will support art workshops and media groups in running in-person sessions. As was the case with sport and fitness groups in Phase One, societies included in Phase Two will have to undertake Covid Officer training and complete a risk assessment before they can meet. Societies will then be placed in a “trial period”.

From 2nd November, further groups whose “regular core activities” rely exclusively upon face-to-face meetings will be allowed to submit risk assessments for activities they believe to be safe. However, the DSU warns that many of these will still be impossible at that date.

The email goes on to state that one-off activities will have to wait until Phase Three provisionally commences on 23rd November. If it goes ahead, Phase Three could allow societies to have one-off in-person events or trips in line with government regulations before the end of Michaelmas Term.

All information about the return to face-to-face society meetings can be found on the DSU page.