Image may contain: Human, Person

Aggression Sessions 2020: Meet the Boxers

The hotly anticipated event returns with Spar 6 this Friday

The boxers for this year's Aggression Sessions have undergone a gruelling four months of training in anticipation of this Friday's event.

Bringing back old school vibes for this year's rendition, Spar 6 will see its boxers take either the red or the blue corner in aid of PAPYRUS.

PAPYRUS is a national charity whose aim is to prevent suicide in young people. They provide help and advice to young people, work with and train professionals (including school staff and healthcare professionals), as well as campaigning to influence national policy regarding suicide prevention strategies.

Tickets for this year's event, held at Rainton Arena, sold out in under a minute, but for those of you lucky enough to be spending their Valentine's Day ringside, here are some of the boxers you'll be able to watch fight it out on the day…

Emma Chalmers, Third Year, Hatfield

Image may contain: Sports, Sport, Smoking, Skin, Person, Human, Smoke

Emma "The Dilemma" Chalmers

What do you think you bring to the ring?

A large forehead as a target

What's your fighting talk one-liner?

There's no charm in Chalmers

Why do you think you'll take the win?

I don't "think"… I know.

Peter Bhabra, Third Year, Collingwood

Image may contain: Tattoo, Smoking, Human, Person, Smoke, Skin

Peter "Pistol" Bhabra

Why do you think PAPYRUS is an important cause?

No one should have to suffer in silence. The more money raised and the more conversations had about mental health will hopefully make a real difference

What's your fighting talk one-liner?

You never lose until you actually give up

How has the training helped other parts of your life?

Training regularly in the morning has made my days more productive as I’m always up and about and ready to take the day on.

Ali Lloyd, Third Year, Hatfield

Image may contain: Skin, Smoking, Person, Human, Smoke

"Muhammad Ali" Lloyd

Despite its widespread prevalence, mental health services continue to be massively underfunded. PAPYRUS not only offers support and advice to those struggling, but aims to raise awareness and educate the general public about the signs of suicidal depression

What is your greatest weakness?

This is the first time I’ll be punching

I no longer have to contour my abs.

Alexia Basch, Third Year, Cuth's

Image may contain: Costume, Skin, Clothing, Apparel, Person, Human, Smoking, Smoke

Alexia "Bish Bash Bosh" Basch

What's your fighting talk one-liner?

I punch harder than the Klute bouncers

What is your greatest weakness?

I couldn't reveal that to my opponent…

It's been really great doing consistent exercise and working towards something as a distraction from uni work and keeping healthy. It also means I can eat more as I'm burning more calories

Christian Glenn, Fourth Year, Grey

Image may contain: Boxing, Smoke, Sports, Sport, Human, Person

Christian "Gaston" Glenn

Suicide is the biggest killer of both men and women under 35 in the UK. I admire both the direct support they offer to those in need and their commitment to reducing the stigma surrounding mental health

It's filling the gaping hole in my ego after my DUCFS rejection

Why do you think you'll take the win?

Going for 3 rounds of 2 minutes is just a normal Valentine’s Day for me

Jasmine Mansfield, Third Year, Hatfield

Image may contain: Smoking, Skin, Human, Person, Smoke

Jasmine "Steal Your" Mansfield

A lot of enthusiasm. Also baked goods. Potentially cookies. To be confirmed nearer to the time depending on what I fancy baking

Which of your friends would you want in your walkout and why?

Arnold Schwarzenegger. I know we’re not friends yet- I just think we’d get on

If you could fight any boxer who would it be and why?

Anthony Joshua. I might die, but it would 100% be worth it to be so near to such a beautiful man. No regrets.

Sam Rees, Third Year, Hatfield

Image may contain: Smoking, Person, Human, Smoke, Skin

Sam "The Battering Ram" Rees

A poor gym:rig ratio

Mark and Sam – they're both single, so thought I'd try and help them out on Valentine's Day

What is your greatest weakness?

Chest hair ain't aerodynamic.

Dylan Child, Third Year, Collingwood

Image may contain: Sport, Sports, Boxing, Person, Human

Dylan "The Problem" Child

PAPYRUS does incredible work on both a local and national level in helping to prevent young suicide, and give support to those who may be struggling with suicidal thoughts. This is an issue that, fortunately, is gaining traction, but PAPYRUS needs financial support to continue to provide the support that young people desperately need

What's your fighting talk one-liner?

"I'll go through you like a laxative" – Derek Chisora (2018)

If you could fight any boxer, who would it be and why?

Tommy Fury – he cancelled a club appearance I went to and I want to give him a piece of my mind.

Brandon St Catherine, Second Year, Collingwood

Image may contain: Skin, Smoking, Smoke, Human, Person

Brandon "Buss Up" St Catherine

PAPYRUS is very special. I remember coming home from school and thinking my parents wouldn't take any of my problems seriously. Even though they actually did care a lot, the stigma surrounding young people's mental health made me feel like my problems weren't serious enough. PAPYRUS offers young people the opportunity to share their experiences with mental health and helps change that stigma

Mayweather – he fights with his brain, not his body. It would be amazing to get a first-hand insight into what that feels like

Why do you think you'll take the win?

Hard work beats talent every time. Fortunately, I have both.

Anyone wishing to donate to PAPYRUS can do so via the Aggression Sessions JustGiving page, which can be found here.

Although tickets for the main event are now sold out, you can still show your support by attending the afterparty. Tickets are currently on Third Release and can be bought through FIXR here.