Image may contain: Bottle, Person, People, Human

The ultimate guide to eating vegan in Durham, for noobs

Eat well and prosper?

Veganism is on the rise. So, whether you're a die-hard plant-based bae or an adamant steak slayer wanting to try something new, take a look at these top vegan tips.

1. Get yourself some solid vegeta-pals

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Friends who hate steak together bake together?

Sharing recipes, getting vegan milkshakes together, talking about how enlightened you are (lol) are just a few of the benefits of having a squad of falafel fanatics by your side.

Plus, if you don't want to be that preachy vegan it's great to have someone on hand to rant to about all the people who tell you you're ruining the world by drinking almond milk.

2. Prepare yourself for some shit college meals

3 words: tinned fruit salad.

3. Try out the dedicated vegetarian/vegan cafés

Image may contain: Cocktail, Alcohol, Milkshake, Milk, Juice, Drink, Dairy, Beverage, Furniture, Chair, Person, People, Human

Jumping Bean's vegan shakes are next level

Cafés are proliferating through Durham, so it'll come as no surprise that we have several dedicated vegan establishments: Jumping Bean does the BEST chips even by meat-eater standards; Bean Social serves up a mean vegan cheese pizza (my fav is The Dominator yaaas); meanwhile Green Guerilla is a new addition to the indoor market serving up bomb.com vegan cakes. Also, fuck yes, Claypath Deli (soon to be renamed) has new vegan pizzas on the menu!

4. Be ready for some 'savage' banter

"Do you want [insert non-vegan food]? OH WAIT YOU'RE VEGAN!' – Oh no, Timothy, my wounded soul.

5. Hit up Robinson's for some plant-based bargains

Are you even vegan if your outfit doesn't match your veg?

10% student discount on some banging fruit and veg. Plus, if you're an eco nerd, you'll be delighted to know that the majority of the goods are unpacked so you don't have to buy nasty nasty plastic (boo, plastic).

6. Check out menus online before you eat out

Ah, man. Nothing more awkward than having to be 'that guy': "Yah, I'll have the fajitas with no sour cream, no cheese, no butter, and could I switch them for extra guac – oh does that contain milk? No I won't have that either. Yaaah I'm vegaaaaahhn."

7. Trick your mates with delicious cakes

Image may contain: Sink, Pizza, Food, Cup, Person, People, Human

Totally vegan, totally sexy

Nothing better than telling your veg-hater friends that the 4 brownies they just obliterated were made from leftover courgettes you found in the fridge.

8. Fill your freezer with Everyday Value garlic bread

OK so there are ways to grab a takeaway on your way back from a tragic night at Klute (RIP dignity). BUT, garlic bread is way cheaper and vegan.

9. Steer the squad to Subway after nights out

If you're really so inebriated that it's a bad idea to go near an oven, hit up Subway. Just google 'vegan Subway' and there are about 10 guides on how to order. Plus, servers usually know what they're talking about.

10. Treat yo'self with vegan sweets

Image may contain: Spa, Coffee Cup, Hair, Braid, Cup, Food, Cookie, Biscuit, Window, Person, People, Human

Forcing my non-vegan friends to join the fun

Holland and Barrett have dedicated vegan goodies (Freedom Mallows, Goody Good Stuff gummy sweets, Booja Booja ice cream etc.) but also so much stuff is 'accidentally vegan': Skittles, chocolate bourbons, oreos, dark chocolate, sorbet… see – you don't have to just eat dirt!

So basically, what you should take from this article is that veganism is easy and worth trying and though, of course, I'm not going to impose my vegan agenda upon you… well, you get where I'm going.