UCU announces first strike date for February

Strikes will take place on the 1st of February

Today (17/1), The University and College Union (UCU) announced that there will be strikes on the 1st of February, with further dates soon to be confirmed.

17 days of additional strike action will take place in February and March, with the Cambridge UCU striking over issues including pay, conditions, and pensions. 

In a tweet, the UCU announced that 70,000 of its members are set to go on strike.

The University of Cambridge will join other universities from across the UK in the strikes.

The university of Cambridge made the following statements: “As UCU’s dispute is with the University only, teaching in Cambridge’s Colleges, including undergraduate supervisions, is unlikely to be affected by the strikes. Libraries and other student-facing support services will continue to be available. Our faculties and departments have well developed contingency plans to ensure the delivery of learning outcomes during periods of industrial action.

“Once this – and any future – industrial action has finished, and reasonable mitigation has been put in place, any student who remains unhappy with their learning experience will be able to raise their concerns with the University via an established complaints process.”

This is a live story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Feature image credits: Sophia Liversidge