Cambridge Student organises cabaret night in support of Ukraine

This one-off charity cabaret night is organised by a current Cambridge student and is raising money for three charities

This Saturday (07/05), a charity event in support of Ukraine will be held on Shaftesbury Avenue to raise funds for those fleeing from crisis. Lou Foxe, a current PGCE student, has organised the one-off cabaret event, at which both nationally recognisable and up-and-coming acts will be performing. Funds raised will be split between three fantastic charities.

Comedian and non-binary cabaret legend Aidan Sandler, who has previously sold out shows at Edinburgh and Brighton Fringe, will be compering the event, and the comedy headliner is Shalaka Kurup, who has performed at venues such as Covent Garden Comedy Cellar and Nottingham Comedy Festival.

Music will be provided by acoustic duo Hannah and Alex, and up-and-coming comedians Alex Beighton and Fraser Brown – who performed at the Fringe in 2021 while still studying at university – will also be featured.

Drag artist King Hoberon, who recently featured in Vogue Italia and who placed second in Man Up! at the Glory in 2019, will also be appearing. There will also be a burlesque performance from Deeva D.

Most excitingly for Cambridge students, also performing will be current Cambridge postgraduate Shónagh Forbes, who will be playing both original music and well-loved covers. Forbes frequently performs at locations around Cambridge and was awarded a BBC Radio Foyle commission in 2019 for her single, “Chaos and Art”.

Funds raised from ticket sales will go directly to three important charities who are doing vital work to combat the effects of the war in Ukraine. 40 per cent will go to OutRight Action International Emergency Appeal, who are assisting LGBTQ+ people staying in or fleeing Ukraine.

Another 40 per cent will go to Equal Chance’s Relocation fund for Black refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine: a coalition currently made up of ten African and Black organizations worldwide, collaborating via GlobalGiving to support Black people leaving Ukraine.

The final 20 per cent will go to EAPPI, Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine and Israel, in recognition of the fact that conflict and warfare cause worldwide suffering.

The event organiser, Lou Fox, said: “Show Up for Ukraine is an effort to generate support and funds for some of the most vulnerable communities escaping conflict. We are not only showcasing some of the fantastic cabaret, music and comedy talent in London, but also reminding the community that even when the initial headlines and shock-factor subside, a great many people desperately need funds, resources and safety. This is going to be a fantastic night of comedic-cabaret relief, and we are thrilled to have such an incredible line-up supporting our causes.”

Tickets can be found here. Feel free to contact [email protected] for more information or media.

Feature and all other image credits: Stand Up for Ukraine.