EXCLUSIVE: Union Debate Lineup Teaser

One’s all in favour of nannies, but not the nanny state

Hide Images

The Tab can exclusively reveal the biggest debate speakers of this term's Union lineup in advance of the full termcard release this Saturday.

One of 2017's biggest internet sensations, controversial Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg will be speaking on the motion "This house believes that No Deal is better than a Bad Deal".

#Moggmania

The Union has existed since 1815 so Mogg, naturally speaking on his favourite topic, should feel right at home in its ancient surroundings. Expect a huge turnout on 8th February for his cut-glass vowels and his witty, albeit old-fashioned, humour.

He'll be speaking in the same debate as Conservative MP for Loughborough Nicky Morgan.

Morgan is a well-known Europhile and former Education Secretary, but was ousted from cabinet by Theresa May and now chairs the all-powerful Treasury Select Committee.

Outside of the political sphere, the debate "This House Believes Celebrity Fandom is the New Organised Religion" will see two polar opposite TV heavyweights go head to head. The Rev. Richard Coles, eveyone's favourite TV Vicar will be pitted against Katie Price (a.k.a Jordan), the former Page 3 girl and Celebrity Big Brother contestant.

When it comes to debating, bigger is better

This debate will also whet the appetites of Cambridge's die-hard Geordie Shore fans with an appearance by former Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents participant, Newcastle's own Chloe Ferry. Watch out on 25th January for some intense reality TV action.

Politicos and chick-lit fans alike will be delighted to hear that former Conservative MP Louise Mensch will be featuring in the debate lineup. She recently launched and left controversial news site 'Heat Street', which has been accused by the Trump administration of propagating "fake news". This debate, taking place on 1st February promises to be a spicy one.

Engineers and car enthusiasts should be excited for an appearance by Aston Martin's CEO Andy Palmer. He'll be speaking on 18th January so clear your diaries for this vehicular extravaganza.

The traditional Week 5 Comedy Debate will be headlined by Deborah Frances-White, the brains behind the wildly popular "Guilty Feminist" podcast. Also returning to the Union for a fourth time is the winner of the Edinburgh Fringe Best Joke Award, John's dropout and professional poker player Ken Cheng. He only dropped 12 UMS on his Maths and Further Maths A-Levels, so even your DoS will approve of you going to see this debate rather than working.

“I'm not a fan of the new pound coin, but then again, I hate all change"

Finally, the Tab can exclusively reveal that the Union will be holidng a debate entitled "This House Believes the Two-State Solution is Dead". The hot-button issue of the Israel-Palestine conflict is sure to lead to impassioned debate from both sides. And this particular debate will be taking place in conjunction with both the Israel and Palestine Societies. The speakers include Palestinian human rights activist Bassem Eid, journalist Gideon Levy and hard-left political scientist Norman G. Finkelstein.

In a highly exciting turn of events, there will now be a student speaker in every single debate held at the Union. Furthermore, the Union has launched a series of new perks for the best student participants. The best speaker in an emergency debate will get a free haircut. In addition, floor speeches will be incentivised with everyone who makes a point getting an invitation to post-debate drinks and the best, second best and third best floor speeches of term winning a free bike from The Bikeman, a place at a speaker dinner of their choice, and £20 bar tab respectively.

Union President Jonah Surkes told The Tab: "The debate line-up was once the jewel in the crown of the Cambridge Union, and this is something we have tried to resurrect in Lent. Each debate has been chosen so that there is something for everyone, and each speaker invited to ensure diversity of background and opinion. "

There will be new incentives for floor speeches

He also praised the work of this term's team in putting this lineup together: "I am also very grateful to my entire committee, and especially executive officer Rhianna Voice, for assisting in putting the line-up together and initiating our new incentives."

Furthermore, he assured us there is more to come with this Saturday's termcard release: "This sneak preview of what is to come on our Thursday nights is not just our ‘best’ speakers – when the term card is released on Saturday we hope you’ll be delighted by consistent experts in every slot."

Keep an eye on The Tab for further exciting releases. This promises to be an exceptional term at the Union.