The Week Ahead: Godspell, Simon Armitage, Roots Manuva

A few cultural highlights for this coming week

Art Cambridge culture Theatre week ahead

Pembroke New Cellars

Tristram Shandy 2: A Sentimental Journey

1st – 5th March, 7:00pm

“The first is the newly-resurrected, hitherto dead and buried Parson Yorick. The second is one last theatrical outing, a dense, mad, galloping horse of a play that promises to sweep you off your feet and across the English channel.”  Join Tristram and Parson Yorick for an invigorating through France, Italy and beyond.

Buy your tickets here: http://pembrokeplayers.co.uk/shandy for £6

Cripps Auditorium, Magdalene College 

Godspell

1st – 5th March, 7.30pm, 2.30pm Saturday matinee

From the composer of Wicked, Pippin, and The Prince of Egypt, Magdalene Musical Production Society presents “ Godspell” – the award-winning musical by Stephen Schwartz and John-Michael Tebelak. The revival of Godspell closed on Broadway in June  2012 but now you can see it in Cambridge at the Cripps Auditorium, Magdalene College.

Buy your tickets here: www.magdalenemps.co.uk for £8/£10

Unaay

Harvey Court JCR

Peach County – Fringe Auditions

2nd – 3rd March, 7 pm

Two families. Two methods of farming peaches. One sketch show. For generations a bitter feud ensued between two factions: the modernists, who mass-produce their stock in battery orchards, and the traditionalists, who have inhabited the land for millennia, yielding their peaches as livestock in the open fields. Scripts will be provided, but if you’d like to perform some of your own material then that is also an option.

Corpus Playhouse

The Night Heron

1st – 5th March, 7 pm

Wattmore and Griffin are ex-Cambridge college gardeners, living with secrets and darkness in the bleakness of the Fens. A poetry prize of £2000 run by the university could be the godsend they’re after to clear Wattmore’s enigmatic debt, if only they knew anything about poetry. As bird-watchers flock to the marshes near their cabin to catch a glimpse of the elusive night heron, the arrival of ex-convict Bolla brings an unprecedented female force and their lives unravel before us.

Buy your tickets here: http://www.corpusplayroom.com/whats-on/drama/the-night-heron.aspx for £6

The Union

Simon Armitage

3rd March, 5 pm

Simon Armitage is a poet, playwright, novelist, travel write, memoirist, broadcaster and lyricist who also writes extensively for television and radio. His works include ‘Paper Aeroplane – Selected Poems 1989-2014’ and his celebrated translation of ‘Sir Gawain and the Green Knight’. His poems have been taught extensively in schools and he is Professor of Poetry at the University of Oxford.

Cambridge Junction

Roots Manuva

3rd March, 7 pm

Rodney Smith aka Roots Manuva was born and grew up in Stockwell, South London. His grandfather had come over from Jamaica in the fifties. As he puts it, his family “were here to make it big time.” There is so much more fun to have in celebrating the current of Tribal-Dub-come-funk-come-sound system culture in extended reach. Born again in love for all audio effected by the eternal mutations of dubbing. With support from Skuff and Inja.

Buy your tickets here: www.junction.co.uk/roots-manuva for £19.50 (Including Booking Fee)