TONIGHT: Mercury Prize nominee Ghostpoet SECRET Union gig

He’s performing a DJ set to promote awareness of homelessness.

Cambridge Hub Carina Tyrell ghostpoet jimmy's mercury prize

2011 Mercury Prize nominee Ghostpoet will be joining an exciting lineup of acts at the Union tonight as part of a night hosted by the Cambridge Hub to raise awareness for homelessness.

Following the critical acclaim of his debut album Peanut Butter Blues and Melancholy Jam, the spoken word musician released his second album Some Say I So I Say Light in May of last year, citing his experiences of homelessness as an important inspiration.

Also performing will be Greg Orrey, Grace Sarah and The Pellews, with all proceeds from the event going towards homeless charities in Cambridge: Jimmy’s Night Shelter, Wintercomfort, Cambridge Link-Up, and the Cambridge Hub.

The event has been organised by the Cambridge Hub who aim to organise social enterprise events across student campuses.

In recent years Cambridge has seen an homelessness become a more pressing issue, with some reports suggesting as much as a five-fold increase in people sleeping rough. Maeve Slattery, one of the organisers of the event said, “This is a really important event because homelessness in Cambridge is such a huge issue, especially in this cold season. This looks to be a really exciting event and we’re really excited that Ghostpoet has agreed to perform a DJ set”.

In the past The Tab has shed light on issues to do with homelessness, in particular Jamie Webb’s intimate series of interviews getting to know the stories of homeless people around Cambridge.

Nathan, who The Tab interviewd earlier this year

Tomorrow’s event will also feature artwork and talks from people who have experienced homelessness in Cambridge, along with food and drink.

Following in the footsteps of Miss England winner and Murray Edwards medic Carina Tyrell, there will be a sleep-out in the Union garden after the event to raise money for the designated charities.

Event details can be found here, entrance costs £4 and tickets can be purchased in advance here or on the door tonight.