Cops warn Cantabs as creeps disuguise as fake officers to confront old man

They might not be all they seem

Be super-suspicious: the ‘police’ might be criminals.

That was the mysterious message given by Rachel Carr, the Crime Reduction Officer for South Cambridgeshire.

Her warning was issued after an incident in which two men posed as police officers in Cambridge.

More frightening news followed a few days ago when, once again, two males played at being cops in order to exploit an elderly gentleman in Teversham, a village just outside the town.

Police look like this

Fortunately, he was wary of the two males’ guise, not handing over any money and refusing to allow them into his house.

But the criminals appear to have been sly enough to obtain the gentleman’s personal details by reading an obituary column in the paper, which they used to inquire about a deceased spouse.

What they did not have, it seems, was real police I.D. and Ms. Carr urged Cantabs who are approached by police officer without identification to always ask to see it.

Look real to you?

She added: “It is very rare for police officers to call without making an appointment first: always be suspicious.”

If they do not have proof of I.D. contact the police via 101 or 999 if you are in immediate danger. If you have information about this incident call police on 101 or Crimestoppers 0800 555 111.