Newnham gardener promises charity glam up

Newnham’s head gardener has pledged to wear lipstick and nail polish to work if he raises enough money for charity.

alex davis gardening newnham college perennial tony arnold

Tony Arnold aims to raise £500 to support HortAid, a fundraising campaign run by Perennial, a charity which helps horticultural workers in need.

Tony, who has worked all the all female college for over 25 years, explained to us why students should support this campaign.

“More than 100 gardeners work tirelessly in Cambridge to keep their College grounds looking beautiful all year round. Newnham women are often seen revising in the gardens during the exam period, they party in them during the June Event and they can enjoy a relaxing walk around them at any time.

“Gardens are known for reducing stress and one of the reasons Cambridge is so special is because of the stunning grounds of all the Colleges that the students enjoy, so dig deep and support this fundraising effort. I decided to wear green lipstick and nail polish to match my green-fingers – but I will only do it if enough people donate to this good cause!”

Tony will glam up for charity and needs your support!

Perennial’s help and support is free and confidential to anyone who is working in, or has worked in, the horticulture industry in the UK.

The charity has a nationwide team of caseworkers and debt advisers that provide free, confidential advice, support and financial assistance whenever it is needed.

You can support Tony at justgiving.com/greenlipstick