The Jays Win Away

In a tidy performance away the Blues Netball 2nd team put away Northampton’s 1st team in their BUCS League

anna harrison Becky Forster Becky Haggie BUCS League Cambridge University Netball Team Cambridge Unversity Ladies Netball Club Gabby Cummins Holly Gilbertson Jays Katie Hamilton Lottie Mungavin Netball Northampton University Sophie Hussey Zoe Sciver

Cambridge 2nds 28 – Northampton 1sts 23

Cambridge University Ladies Netball Club’s 2nd team continued their unbeaten run of 3 wins out of 3 with a hard-fought away victory over Northampton University’s 1st team to take them to top of the pile in their BUCS League.

Cambridge were determined to make amends, having lost their match on the road at Northampton last season and came out focused from the first whistle.

The Jays

A scrappy match at times demanded Cambridge fight to snatch loose balls and to capitalize on Northampton’s sometimes wayward passing. The mid-court team of WD Holly Gilbertson, C Lottie Mungavin and WA Becky Haggie always had an eye to a turnover.

Great defensive pressure from Cambridge all the way up the court had Northampton rattled. Combining well with defensive partners Zoe Sciver and Aussie Becky Forster, star interceptor GK Katie Hamilton picked off numerous Northampton feeds into the circle.

With a lively crowd to contend with, cool shooting under pressure was needed for Cambridge. GS Gabby Cummins and player of the match Sophie Hussey certainly delivered to keep Cambridge’s noses in front at the end of each quarter.

Northampton were never going to give up and maintained an aggressive standard of play throughout, which set up a nail-biting last quarter for Captain Holly Gilbertson, by this point watching from the sidelines. Despite going down by 2, Cambridge were able to keep their composure, and played a smart game of possession. Great support up the court from Anna Harrison, on at WD, meant that Cambridge kept the ball safe to see out the match.

Cambridge will now look to continue their recent form as they go into their next test – a cup match at home to Birmingham City on Saturday – with winning confidence.