Red Boys Cruise into Cuppers Final

John’s comfortably despatched Cuppers revelation CCK to reach the final yet again

CCK rugby college rugby cuppers rugby john's rugby red boys rugby

CCK 0 – 74 John’s

Surprise package CCK saw their Cuppers challenge end with a comprehensive defeat at the hands of favourites John’s. 

Despite an encouraging start, CCK never looked like ending John’s long undefeated run. The Red Boys took no chances with their squad selection- a testament to the character and ability of CCK, which saw them easily defeat Fitzwilliam, Downing and Homerton on the way to the semi-finals.

CCK started well, with decent kicking from Josh Wilson pinning the Red Boys back in their half. If CCK were to stand any chance of getting a result it would be through their dominant pack, and their excellent scrummaging provided John’s with problems early on.

However with around 20 minutes gone John’s penetrated the CCK backline to score an excellent try. Whilst this was a sign of things to come, CCK can take solace in John’s brutal demolition of Division 1 side Girton on Tuesday, which saw the game postponed after 25 minutes with the score at 50-0.

After increasing their lead with a series of well worked backline moves,  John’s started to turn the screw.

The strength, speed and discipline of the imperious Red Boys backline could not be matched by CCK, who were missing stalwart Mike Massey at centre.

Nevertheless, despite conceding a flurry of late tries, CCK were by no means humiliated. Several opportunities to score were thwarted by the excellent John’s defence.

John’s showed why they have been the dominant force in university rugby in recent years with a level of fitness and ability that is unlikely to be matched by any other college side.

The game was played in an excellent spirit and even saw an outrageous off-the-ball tackle from Dominic Rustecki go unpunished.

CCK can reflect upon an excellent run in Cuppers putting their name back on the university rugby map, and will be looking to secure a deserved promotion to Division 2.

John’s will go into next week’s final confident that they will dispatch Jesus, who could only scrape a victory against their second XV.

Despite the scoreline, CCK captain Rob High was not downbeat with his side’s performance. “It meant a lot to me to get to the semi-final and I really don’t think we disgraced ourselves”, the diminutive Welshman said.

“We comfortably beat three supposedly better sides to get here and at the end of the day lost to easily the best side in Cambridge. Good luck to them”.

For photos from the match click here