Feeble Fitz Relegated to Division 3

Late comeback secures Pembroke victory over Fitz in relegation decider. Read more and see final league table here

college rugby fitz rugby pembroke rugby queens' rugby

Pembroke 7 – 5 Fitz

Pembroke edged Fitz in this relegation decider, compounding their opponents to spend next season in the basement of college rugby. 

After nearly two terms of rugby, this match was essentially as important as a Cup Final for both sides. A draw would be enough to secure Fitz their Division 2 status for another season; Pembroke had to win in order to avoid the drop.

Fitz went into the game as firm favourites, having demolished their opponents 30-5 on home turf, and were confident of rolling over Pembroke who took a 50-15 hammering at the hands of Division 3 outfit Homerton in Cuppers last week.

Perhaps the occasion got the better of the sides as the contest proved to be scrappy at best. In a nervy first half Fitz came closest to breaking the deadlock, but a try-saving tackle by Pembroke’s Rob Jones prevented the visitors from taking the lead; 0-0 at half time.

It was much of the same after the break. However 10 minutes from full time Fitz Captain Ed Thornton picked up from the base of the scrum, 5 metres from the Pembroke line, and went over for a try under the posts.

Amazingly the conversion was charged down by Pembroke skipper Sean Adams; 5-0 to the visitors. As things stood Fitz were staying up.

With just 4 minutes to go Pembroke staged an incredible comeback. After good work at the breakdown by the Pembroke forwards, prop Jack Sunter rumbled over to level the scores. Fly-half Jones slotted the all important conversion to give Pembroke a 7-5 lead.

In a frenetic finish Pembroke managed to hold out for the win to guarantee themselves Division 2 rugby next season and send Fitz crashing down into the depths of Division 3.

Final Division 2 Table

For more of The Tab’s coverage of college rugby click here