Sacked Bristol University professor shares videos painting Hamas in a positive light

Professor David Miller claims the videos ‘debunk many Zionist lies’

Professor David Miller, who was sacked from the University of Bristol in 2021, has today (2nd November) shared videos which depict Hamas in a positive light.

Miller shared a thread of videos on the social media platform X (formerly Twitter) with his nearly 20,000 followers, which show Hamas, who are categorised in the UK as a prescribed terrorist organisation, supposedly treating their hostages in a humane and caring manner.

The former sociology professor called the thread “a useful compilation on the treatment of captives by the Palestinian resistance faction,” which “debunks many Zionist lies”.

The post was met with significant backlash, with one user telling Miller he needed to add “terrorist propagandist” to his bio and another claiming that they had consequently reported him to Counter Terrorist Police.

The same user said that one of the videos shows her “husband’s family” who were “held for hours, terrified and grieving because Hamas just killed their daughter in front of them.”

This comes after it was reported last week that the Socialist Worker Student Society were circulating pro-Hamas pamphlets on Bristol Uni’s campus, which was swiftly condemned by the vice-chancellor, Evelyn Welch.

Professor Miller’s contract at Bristol University was terminated in October 2021 following a 200-day investigation into comments he made at an online conference.

The investigation began in March 2021 after Miller allegedly made several comments, which included calling for “the end” of Zionism, that Zionism is “fundamental” to “encourage Islamophobia and anti-Arab racism” and that the “Zionist Movement” is “the enemy”.

Miller also claimed that a student was involved in “political surveillance” against him and that attacks on him were “directed by the State of Israel”, which resulted in the online abuse of Jewish students.

Two years after being sacked, Professor Miller launched an Employment Tribunal against Bristol University, which began on Monday 16th October, claiming unfair dismissal, breach of contract and discrimination or victimisation on grounds of religion or belief.

The tribunal could become a test case as Miller argues that his stance on Zionism is a protected philosophical belief under the 2010 Equality Act.

The Bristol Tab were unable to contact David Miller for comment.