‘Not good enough’: Students react to Bristol Uni’s cost of living plans

Bristol Uni pledge to finally heat the ASS

Bristol Uni has unveiled its plans to help students tackle the cost of living crisis.

In an email sent out to students, Bristol Uni has outlined several measures to help students deal with rising bills, housing problems and notoriously cold study spaces.

However, some students are not satisfied with the university’s responses. In a poll on The Bristol Tab Instagram, students told The Tab the measures were: “About as useful as telling someone who is depressed they shouldn’t be” and that the uni should “give us actual help!”

Whereas others seemed more content: “the free stuff looks cool. I had no idea b:active was free”.

In a statement to students, Sarah Purdy, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Student Experience, said: “We are acutely aware of the effects of the rising cost of living on our community and have been working with Bristol SU to implement a range of measures.

“If you are struggling with money, or want some advice, please do reach out and speak to someone. We have specialist teams available, and you can discuss your situation in confidence with them.”

Bristol Uni is not the first to expand its economic support systems for students, universities across Britain have been implementing measures to help with the hardships currently facing many scholars.

When approached about criticism of the new measures, a Bristol University Spokesperson said “Discussions are continuing and we’ll be announcing further measures in due course.”

A full list of the measures can be found below:

• The budget for the Financial Assistance Fund has been increased from £600,000 to £1million
  • The £100,000 Digital Support Fund continues to help students with the cost of IT equipment and connectivity
  • The process for students to access financial support has been simplified and streamlined to ensure help is available as quickly as possible. Financial Assistance Funding is normally paid within 48 hours and all students are eligible to apply. This includes international students
  • More than 200 additional affordable rooms have been made available in our residences this year
  • We continue to provide warm, free spaces across campus. Study spaces in the Arts and Social Sciences Library are available 24 hours a day, and study rooms in Senate House are available on weekday evenings and at weekends
  • Microwaves are available in the SU’s social spaces – the Bristol SU Living Room (where you can also get free tea and coffee), the SU Loft in Senate House, and on the second floor of the Richmond Building
  • We are looking at how we can make more jobs at the university available to students, and you can also visit the SU Job Shop for further opportunities
  • Free fitness and activity classes are now being offered and discounted sports memberships for students eligible for a bursary.