Bored of the pub? Visit one of the six best art galleries in Bristol this autumn

Almost all of them are FREE

As Autumn and Winter roll ahead, gone are the days that you can spend your free time on the Downs or Brandon Hill. One of the best (and mostly free) things to do inside is visit some of the art galleries in Bristol.  

Bristol is a city full of culture and going to art galleries is one of the best ways to get some, with each one having something for everyone.  

Here are some great art galleries with excellent exhibitions to visit in Bristol so that you can keep warm and embrace your main character moment.

1. Arnolfini

Arnolfini is home to some of the best and most wide-ranging contemporary art exhibitions in Bristol. This Autumn they will be displaying The Body is a Place by Bharti Kher, a collection of colourful paintings, drawings and sculpture that explore the magical, mythical, spiritual and scientific realms. Arnolfini also has a bar, if you feel like having a pint after getting some culture.  

Entry is free and bookable here with walk-ins available on the day too.  

Find it here: 16 Narrow Quay, Bristol, BS1 4QA.  

2. Bristol Museum and Art Gallery

Bristol Museum and Art Gallery has a large collection of art, nature and history, meaning that there is something for everyone to enjoy there. One piece of art that they are currently displaying is Mimesis: African Solider by John Akomfrah, a film which tells the story of the Commonweath soldiers who fought in World War One. Situated right next to Wills Memorial Buidling, the museum is the perfect place to go for a study break.  

Entry is free, with tickets available on the door. More information is available on the website.

Find it here: Bristol Museum and Art Gallery, Queen’s Road, Bristol, BS8 1RL.  

3. RWA

The newly refurbished RWA displays both contemporary and classical art by leading artists worldwide. Currently, they are displaying their 169th Annual Open Exhibition, which brings together a variety of works from emerging and established artists from around the country and beyond, including two watercolour paintings by King Charles III. The gallery is located on The Triangle, so like Bristol Museum and Art Gallery, it is a great place to go to get a break from studying.  

Entry is free with a student ID, with tickets available on the door. More information is available on the website.

Find it here: Royal West of England Academy, Queen’s Road, Bristol, BS8 1PX.  

4. Spike Island

Spike Island is an art gallery that displays a range of contemporary art exhibitions from both emerging and established artists. From October to January, they are showing Ways of Attaching by Rosemary Mayer, an exhibition of Mayer’s fabric sculptures made from 1972-1990 and is the first time her work has been shown in the UK. Always displaying something different, Spike Island is the place to go to see unique artworks.  

Find it here: 133 Cumberland Road, Bristol, BS1 6UX.  

5. Wake The Tiger

Credit: Wake The Tiger

From the same people behind Boomtown festival, Wake The Tiger is an immersive art experience that will take you into parallel worlds. The experience includes 27 different creative environments that guide you through the world of Meridia using immersive and interactive artworks. An afternoon there can let you escape the world of university work and deadlines.  

Read the exclusive Bristol Tab review for more details. 

Tickets cost £15 and can be purchased here.

Find it here: 127 Albert Road, Bristol, BS2 0YA.  

6. Upfest

If you feel like you can brave the cold weather, then head south of the river to see Upfest, Europe’s largest street art and graffiti festival. The streets of Bedminister have been spread with colour, displaying some of the best street art in the country. A great place to see some amazing graffiti, or just to get some cool pictures.  

It runs all year and you can find a map of the artworks and more information about the festival here.