bristol tier

Some practical courses could return to in-person teaching, says Bristol Uni update

Online teaching will continue for the majority of students

Bristol Uni say that they are “considering the possibility of a limited return” to in-person teaching from the 8th March for some practical and practice-based courses in light of the latest government briefing on lockdown.

In an email sent promptly to students this morning, they outlined that blended learning would not return for the majority of courses until after the Easter vacation.

Although most of the restrictions already in place are staying the same, the university projected, subject to PHE local guidelines, that sports facilities, catering and further study spaces may be able to open at the start of the summer term based off the timetable set out in the government’s “roadmap”.

The uni aim to confirm which courses will be returning to some degree of in-person teaching by the 26th February, but this will only be courses that require specialist equipment and facilities.

In the email, Professor Sarah Purdy explained that their “approach needs to be considered alongside ongoing efforts to keep infection rates down in Bristol, and we continue working alongside colleagues from Public Health England and Bristol City Council to tackle the spread of the highly infectious new ‘Kent’ strain of Covid recently discovered in the city”.

The university also urge students who are struggling financially to access the Covid Impact Fund to find support through the pandemic: “It’s quick and easy to apply, and we may be able to help with additional expenses, loss of earnings or costs related to online learning”.

They also encourage talking to the Wellbeing Access service if students are struggling with their mental health and wellbeing during this challenging time.

Professor Purdy reinforced the hands-face-space message, as well as telling students to stay at home. She reminded students that “The rules apply to all of us. It makes absolutely no difference if you’ve had already COVID-19 or think you might have:  the virus can still be transmitted to others.”

If you, or someone you know, is struggling with their mental wellbeing during this time, please reach out to Wellbeing Access services by clicking here