Teenager arrested for plan to hold rave in Bristol

38 fines were issued overnight

A 19 year-old male was arrested around 7pm last night “on suspicion of conspiracy to cause a public nuisance” for plans to hold a rave in Fishponds, currently illegal under Coronavirus restrictions.

38 fines were also issued as people started gathering in the area for the event after officers were deployed to the area around 8:30pm, and 30 minors “were given advice by officers.”

“A further arrest was made in connection with a drink driving offence and a vehicle was seized for having no insurance.”

“Bristol Freerave” had been advertised on social media, although the location was undisclosed. The 19 year old arrested by Avon and Somerset Police has now been released under investigation.

Officers stayed in the area into the early hours of the morning. The police statement said they also were deployed to two other locations following reports of other illegal gatherings, but no such gatherings were found.

In a statement, Chief Inspector Paul Wigginton praised police officers and staff, saying if the “unauthorised event” had gone ahead, it “would have put many people in harm’s way”.

“We know that the key to policing these events is prevent them before they get underway, which is why we are also hugely grateful to those members of the public who have got in touch with us to provide vital intelligence that allowed us to intervene early.

“The police understand this year has been difficult, but the reality is that unauthorised mass gatherings increase the risk of spreading Covid-19 at a time when the NHS is under great pressure, as well as causing huge disruption and distress to local residents.

“We continue to thank to the large majority of people who are observing the guidelines to help protect their health and that of their loved ones.”

This action comes after an illegal rave in Yate in November that police spent 12 hours trying to shutdown. Given the rapidly deteriorating Coronavirus situation in the UK, the police are coming under increased pressure to enforce the laws designed to stop the spread of the virus.

Featured image from an illegal rave in Yate in November, via SWNS