Image may contain: Window, Home Decor, Apartment Building, High Rise, Building, City, Town, Urban

Man arrested in flat off Whiteladies over suspected terror offences

The arrest was made on Monday evening

A thirty-three year old man was arrested on suspicion of Islamist-related terror offences on Monday night.

Police raided his flat in Tyndale Court, just off Whiteladies Road, at 11pm as part of a planned operation.

The suspect is being held in custody while searches take place at the address, which is owned by the company People for Places.

People for Places offer a sheltered housing scheme providing rented accommodation for elderly, disabled and other vulnerable people.

A spokesperson for the firm has said that they were "supporting" the investigation and that they were making sure those directly affected are "safe and being looked after."

A nearby resident, who has chosen to be anonymous, said she found out about the raid when she arrived for an Italian lesson yesterday morning.

She said, "It's a university area. It's residential. It's considered one of the better areas in Bristol. It's a very nice place to live.
It's where you would tell someone to live if you were moving to the area. There's usually minimal crime."

Superintendent Andy Bennett, of Avon and Somerset Constabulary, has assured that, "We will have an increased policing presence in the local area and should anyone have any questions or concerns about this incident, I encourage them to speak to one of my officers."