Image may contain: Man, Beard, Human, Face, Person

Meet the candidates running for Postgraduate Education Officer in the SU elections

Voting closes on Thursday

With this year's SU election fully in swing, it's time to meet the candidates who could be running Bristol SU next year. Take a look at their answers to get more information on who to vote for. But, be quick — voting is only open from 12-14 of March!

Vaibhav Gokhale

Msc Management (International Business)

Image may contain: Pants, Sitting, Clothing, Apparel, Face, Chair, Furniture, Person, Human

What makes you the best candidate for this role?

“I’ve been in the Uni for six months and I have a good sense of what’s happening and what needs to change. I would say the most important aspect is that I’m an international student. The majority of post grads are international students so I can relate to them as we experience most of the same things. Also, I’m a course rep and we organised an event which happened last week. I’m a volunteer as well which is an extra-cirricular thing I do for better exposure.

“There are some serious issues and I think I have a realistic point of view which makes me capable of thinking what should be done now and what should be postponed until later. I have a pretty good understanding of the Uni structure. Because of this I can give good criticism when acquired and at times silent when that’s required too.”

What is the most impressive part of your manifesto?

“I think the best part of my manifesto is that it covers post grad student and takes into consideration other students too. So, not only post grads will be voting for me but other students too. I have covered many points which will make all student’s lives better.”

What’s the biggest change you want to bring to UoB students?

“I would like to see more structural changes. Post grad students don’t get a personal tutor, this affects students studying a lot. Also, many students weren’t happy with the feedback they were happy of their work, I want to improve this.”

Where’s your favourite place to go on a Bristol night out?

“I am very fond of restaurants, especially Za Za Bazaar’s. I also love going to OMG.”

Chris Brasnett

PhD Physics

Image may contain: Clothing, Apparel, Photography, Portrait, Photo, Man, Beard, Accessories, Accessory, Glasses, Human, Person, Face

“I think my really big advantage as a PhD student and the only PhD student who’s standing for this role in a post that’s been held by taught post-graduates for the last four years is that I really am very comfortable already with talking to academics. I know the language and I know how to work with academics in a productive way to make change.

“We talk about the wellbeing service a lot, and from people I have spoken to who have had to use the wellbeing service, particularly as post grads, the difference between post grad study and undergrad study is really big and I think there’s a lack of awareness about the kind of specific issues that post grads face.”

“I would hope that post-graduate wellbeing would be a really important part of what I want to do in the role. I think it’s obviously a really big issue at the university at the moment. I’ve already made in-way into this, through my role of faculty rep. I was also a member of University senate and when the draft wellbeing strategy was drafted and then sent out for consultation for students, at a draft stage it only had two mentions of post grads across the whole of both the staff and student strategies. This is another case of the university treating staff when they feel like it and students when they fell like it. This is one of the fundamental problems of being a research postgraduate.”

“I think it really needs to be pushed by the university more about how can we get more undergraduates into research, how do we encourage more taught post grads into research and what’s going wrong there.”

“Ooh go out. (long pause) I’m not really a clubbing person, but maybe that’s the nature of PhD. Those days are quite far in the past now, but I enjoy going to whopping wharf on a Friday, having a few drinks and food with mates. And on a Friday there‘s a silent disco as well just by the M Shed by the square at the end.”

Jackline Some

MSc Innovation and Entrepreneurship

Image may contain: Dimples, Smile, Person, Face, Human

“Postgraduate students have very different and varied problems. You have international students coming from different cultural backgrounds and different universities. I feel postgraduate experience is very diverse compared to the undergraduate experience.

"I would say I am the best candidate because I’m ready to listen to problems and experiences as well as making sure all the voices are heard by the University.”

“I think making sure there is postgraduate funding and having a better fee structure. There is a lack of funding and it is restricting us at Bristol Uni and all around the world. I want the Uni to invest in postgraduate funding.”

“I want to bring change to postgraduates who teach. The contracts are very short and the pay is low for a lot of post grads. In fact, a lot of them end up doing more than was originally said in the contract. If we can improve the experiences for post grads who teach, this will help the quality of teaching for the undergraduates.”

"Nova, it’s in the city centre and it’s very chilled."