Image may contain: Glass, Bottle, Drinking, Drink, Beverage, Person, People, Human

In defence of University Hall

It’s not as bad as you think

University Hall — the Primark of Stoke Bishop. We’ve all been there, meeting a Fresher on the bus and being asked, “what halls you at?” and proudly retorting University Hall. Then, only to be met with a look of horror and pity and comments like "bro, it looks dead’’.

Granted, the exterior of UH couldn’t be deemed the most appealing sight in Stoke Bishop, especially next to the luxury of Hiatt Baker, but don’t let that put you off, it’s really not as bad as you think. Here’s why-

Image may contain: Urban, Neighborhood, Building, Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile

Don't judge a book by its cover

1. We undoubtedly have the best bar in Stoke Bishop

Cheap booze, pub quizzes; you name it, University Hall Bar has it.

2. It’s cheap and cheerful

If you’re a bit of a snob then this point probably isn’t for you, but at the end of the day all you really need is a kitchen and a bed. Pick the cheapest option going, and what do you have more money for? Nuggets and chips from Jason Donervan on the way home from a night out.

3. The kitchens are brand new

Despite the aforementioned dodgy exterior of University Hall, our kitchens are brand new, which means everything works (pretty much). Who doesn’t want to cook their beans on toast on a brand new electric hob, and have automatic lights turn on for your midnight Pot Noodle?

Image may contain: Book, Sink

You'll have more money for pizza

4. It’s right next to the bus stop

We might not be able to walk to lectures, but who would want to live in city centre anyway? Living right next to the bus stop means you can pretty much hear the bus pull up and then get out of bed. Bad luck, Badock.

5. The best flat parties

Being in self-catered accommodation means the best flat parties in Bristol happen in our kitchens. You’re welcomed at the door by ‘which flat you in?’ and as long as your reply isn’t ‘I’m actually from Wills’ you’ll be welcomed in. Joking (not joking).

6. You’ll probably have the best year of your life

Jokes aside, Uni Hall is home to some of the most friendly, non-judgemental people at UoB. Not saying that the other halls aren’t alright too, but they don’t really come close.

Image may contain: Room, Indoors, Classroom, Furniture, Chair, Person, People, Human

You'll meet the best people

You’ll end up knowing and liking pretty much everyone, and isn’t that what uni is about? (Sorry, I cringed too)
. In summary, don’t let slurs like Poverty Hall put you off UH, it’s really not that bad. I’d even go as far as to say it’s pretty decent.