Image may contain: Arm, Person, People, Human

Bristol cleaner cries tears of joy after students raise £1,500 for him to go on holiday

The power of the internet

A video has emerged of a popular Bristol University cleaner breaking down in tears after being presented with £1,500 for a summer trip abroad following a GoFundMe campaign.

Herman Gordon, one of the most loved members of UoB's cleaning staff, was presented with the money and a note that said: "On behalf of the students at Bristol, we would like to thank you for all the positive energy you have given to us throughout the years.

"You have brightened many of our days and we want you to know that we love and appreciate you. We have come together to give you a special gift as our way of saying thank you. Have a lovely summer!"

Image may contain: Pc, Electronics, Computer, Person, People, Human

A still from the video in which Herman is presented with the sum

Upon receiving the envelope Herman dabs his eyes with his cleaning cloth and hugs the students saying "God bless you man, God bless". Herman then told the camera: "I want to say thank you for everything you have done and God bless every one of you."

The students who began the GoFundMe page have chosen to remain anonymous but issued a public statement using the Bristruths Facebook page, which has been at the forefront of the campaign.

"We would like to thank everyone who contributed to this incredible gift. It is truly amazing what we can achieve when we come together. It is thanks to your generosity that we’ve been able to raise about £1,500 – meaning both Herman and his wife will be able to visit Jamaica for the first time in 4 years!"

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure

The GoFundMe page which had over 200 supporters

One Bristruths admin known to The Tab said: "Herman is a Bristol institution and we are delighted that he and his wife will be enjoying Jamaica this summer. Thanks to all the students who chipped in and repaid all the hard work and good cheer he gives us."

"Bristruths is delighted to have played a small role in bringing this campaign to a bigger audience and would love to do more of this in the future once we come back in September. Look forward to the holiday snaps!"

You can watch the video HERE.