Image may contain: Crowd, Poster, Collage, Person, People, Human

Calling all redheads: There’s now a ‘Ginger Appreciation Society’ at Bristol University

They’re hosting a bar crawl this Thursday

For years, redheads have suffered unjustly. Whether it was national 'Kick a Ginger Kid' day at school, or nicknames such as "carrot top", "ginger biscuit" and "Sunny D", this endangered minority has been demonised for far too long.

But now a group of students at Bristol University are fighting back by setting up a new "Ginger Appreciation Society" (GAS) to celebrate their ravishing red hair. According to their Facebook page, they are the only active GAS in the UK and were given official Bristol SU approval last month when their affiliation request was approved. It will cost £3 to join.

The society are set to celebrate their new found status by holding their first social event this Thursday, 23rd November. GAS will be going on an orange-themed bar crawl in conjunction with the Irish Society, starting at Berkeley Spoons and encompassing both Mbargos and Lizard Lounge.

Image may contain: Text

The historic email confirming GAS had been affiliated

According to the GAS Facebook page, attendees are set to "witness more ginger hair than in a Weasley’s drain after a family bath". Non-gingers are welcome but "those not blessed with Fanta pubes" need to wear something red or orange.

Speaking to The Tab, Ginger Appreciation Society Vice President Freddie Hobbs said: "Rachel, the President, and I were always joking about it last year, and when a few friends voiced some interest, we thought yeah why not!

"It's mainly for a laugh, but we hopefully can offer some support for those whose temper is as short as the time they can spend out in the sun".