Bristol Mbargos night out ends in England cricketer being arrested

Did you see anything about the incident?

Ben Stokes, England’s vice-captain, was arrested early on Monday morning after an incident at Mbargos Bristol left a 27-year-old man with facial injuries.

The cricket player was held overnight after celebrating the team’s victory in the third ODI with teammate Alex Hales.

Police were called to Mbargos nightclub at some time around 2.35am following reports of "a disorder." Stokes was then arrested by Avon and Somerset Police outside the nightclub after an alleged assault.

England cricketer and vice captain Ben Stokes

Both men will not be available for England’s fourth one-day international against the West Indies this Wednesday as a result of the incident.

England captain Eoin Morgan has commented that: "As a group we are strong at sticking together and working well as a team."

England are set to name their players for the Ashes tour this week, but the team’s director of cricket has said that the squad will be chosen based on their cricketing ability alone.

Mbargos is a fixture of the Bristol nightlife scene

Stokes was released late on Monday, but the case is still under investigation by Avon and Somerset Police. Since the incident Hales has returned to help the police with their enquiries.

The Police are asking for any witnesses who saw the accident on the Clifton Triangle to call the Investigations team on 101 and give the reference number 5217218578.