Exclusive: Jacob Rees-Mogg is coming to speak at Bristol University

But will he be no-platformed?

Tory grassroots favourite Jacob Rees-Mogg has been invited to speak at UoB by Bristol University Conservative Association (BUCA).

The controversial Member of Parliament for North East Somerset- famous for his love of Brexit, the Catholic Church and Cadbury's Creme Eggs- emerged this summer as a surprise candidate for the Conservative Party leadership.

He is due to speak at the university on the 16th February 2018 although this may be rescheduled to coincide with the Richmond Lectures- Bristol's flagship public lecture series.

Rees-Mogg addressing the Cambridge Union in 2012. Credit: Cantab12

Talking exclusively to The Tab, BUCA President Peter Emptage, said: "JRM never fails to be refreshingly direct, his unashamed authenticity has earned him a cult following on social media and promises to provide an experience for Bristol students that will entertain his supporters and offer an unadulterated exchange of views for his detractors."

It is not yet known whether in light of Rees-Mogg's traditional Catholic views on abortion and same-sex marriage, Bristol Students' Union will try to no-platform the forthcoming event.

Two years ago, controversial alt-right commentator Milo Yiannopoulos faced that threat when he was invited to speak by the Bristol Journalism Society. In the end, the event only went ahead because it was turned into a debate instead.

Rees-Mogg is not the only leading Tory backbencher invited to Bristol University this year.

Braintree MP James Cleverly is also due to speak at the society this term, with late November being the proposed date at the time of publication.