Ex Bristol Chancellor to become first female President of the Supreme Court

Yasss slay queen

Bristol students have been delighted at news reports that former university Chancellor Baroness Hale of Richmond is set to be appointed today as the first female President of the UK Supreme Court.

Hale, the only woman to have served on the Court since it was established in 2009, was Chancellor of UoB from 2004 to 2016. In this capacity she developed something of a fan following among uni students due to her skill, intellect and work in championing diversity in the judiciary.

When Bae gives you your degree

When Bae gives you your degree

In her valedictory lecture last December, Hale mused over her roots in Richmond, Yorkshire and how her life had gone full circle by ending up in the SU Richmond building at Bristol University.

Commenting on the news, the University Law Club told The Tab that: "Lady Hale has long been an inspiration to our students, and we are often graced by her presence. The UBLC wishes Lady Hale every success in her new role, and the biggest congratulations!"

Queen of the Court

Queen of the Court

Recent graduate and outgoing That's What She Said Arts Editor Elle May added: ""Baroness Hale is one of the most impressive, creative, forward-thinking and generous legal scholars and judges in British legal history."

"Her sex makes this even more impressive considering the barriers, institutional biases, ignorance and prejudice that stood constantly in her path. As a Law student and as a woman, I have found her and her great feminist force a consistent source of inspiration."

"Meeting her at my graduation on Wednesday was bloody brilliant. I can confirm that in person she is as she is in her judgements and her speeches – very chilled, very cool and just downright kick arse."

Smashing the patriarchy one promotion at a time

Once rated the fourth most powerful woman in Britain, Hale was reportedly chosen by a panel of five and will earn £225,000 a year as the head of the UK’s highest court.

She is among the last of the judges who can serve to 75 as she became a judge before the rules were changed in 1995 to make retiring at 70 mandatory.

The Tab Bristol extend our congratulations to Baroness Hale and wish her every success in the new role.