Bristol is the 23rd best university in Europe according to new rankings

We’re better than Durham

The University of Bristol has placed an impressive 23rd in Europe, in the 2016 edition of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.

Out of the top 200 Universities in Europe, the UK comes in first for most-represented country, taking 46 (nearly a quarter) of all positions for prestigious universities.

The Times Higher Education rankings are a household source used by prospective students and fanatics around the world to judge the rankings of universities.

Few will be surprised to see the top five being dominated by the frequently victorious heavyweights of Oxford (1st), Cambridge (2nd), and Imperial College London (3rd), while University College London also makes an appearance at 5th, just behind the ETH Zurich in Switzerland.

LSE (6th), Edinburgh (7th) and KCL (8th) also place highly on the list, with British universities also frequenting the table globally.

Durham also placed impressively on the list (24th) just not quite as impressively as Bristol (23rd). 

Institutions were measured on ‘teaching environment, research environment, citations (research influence), industry income and international outlook’.