Bournemouth University ranked sixth in sustainability performance

Bournemouth University has been ranked in the top 10 worldwide for sustainability.

Bournemouth University ranked sixth overall amongst the top 10 for responsible consumption and production in The Times Higher Education Impact rankings 2023.

To commit to a sustainable approach, Bournemouth University has adopted the “Re-think, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” ethos.

In response, the university introduced a coffee cup charge with the goal of decreasing the use of single-use plastic water bottles and promoting the use of reusable coffee cups.

Bio&Me, a health food company, visited the university’s Talbot campus to offer students samples of its products, which would soon be sold at the university’s cafés. Their card boxes and cardboard packaging are made entirely of recycled materials.

Sales executive Pippa Burdass said: “Porridge pots are perfect for students on the go. No added sugar and high in fibre.”

Pippa Burdass and Hannah Lea-Swain from Bio&Me - Photo by Utku Huseyin.

In 2020, a different food brand, Boast Ball, introduced its vegan Keto Range, which is also packaged in recyclable materials.

Francesca Hobson from Boast Ball – Photo by Utku Huseyin

The university has worked with the Chartwells catering team, which operates multiple locations throughout campus, to eliminate 10 single-use plastic products from its culinary operations by 2020.

Sauce packets, stirrers, and takeaway containers are examples of such products.