Image may contain: Smile, Portrait, Face, Person, People, Human

Rosie’s investigating after UoB student ‘stabbed with needle’ at Vodbull

‘I felt a sharp pain in my upper back near my spine’

Rosie's is investigating after a UoB student says she was stabbed with a needle on a night out at Vodbull.

Second year Kirsty Knell was out last Thursday when she felt a stabbing pain in her back and had to leave the dance floor.

Classics student Kirsty was in Rosie's dancing when she felt a sharp pain in her upper back near her spine. "My friends noticed I had stopped dancing and looked pale," she said.

Kirsty's boyfriend, Robbie, commented that "one second she was dancing and when I looked back she was very clearly distressed." Instead of turning around and looking what had happened, Kirsty says she froze and immediately started to cry.

When Robbie stepped closer he could see "quite a bit of blood."

The mark left by the needle

The two then found the sites security guard, who "very promptly" directed them to the club medic, who wiped the wound with an antiseptic wipe. Kirsty then returned to the dancefloor.

The Birmingham Tab spoke to a Rosie's club representative who said that "a female student was seen for an injury on Thursday night by the qualified venue medic who was happy for her to go home without further examination or hospital treatment."

However, as a precaution the Kirsty has since sought treatment in terms of tetanus vaccinations and further testing. Her GP told her the mark looked like the result of a needle being improperly removed.

From there, she was told to go to A&E. Whilst there for six hours, she had blood tests and the injury was confirmed as a needle mark. However, she was unable to get a vaccine at the time.

Kirsty then went to A&E a second time, in Kettering, who also confirmed what the mark was, and gave her the Hepatitis B booster.

Both Vodbull and Rosie's noted that the incident is currently under investigation as a precaution to customer safety but that they believe these events don't pose any danger to customers.

A spokesperson for Rosie's told The Birmingham Tab: "We were made aware of this alleged incident on the evening and Kirsty was seen by a paramedic as a precaution but that did not raise any concerns for either her safety or that of other customers .

"The security and safety of our customers is paramount and we will of course support any investigation should we receive an official complaint or enquiry from the Police."

A spokesperson from Vodbull told The Birmingham Tab: "A female student was seen for an injury on Thursday night by the qualified venue medic who was happy for her to go home without further examination or hospital treatment. Solely as a precaution, the venue is investigating further and we are in regular contact both with the venue and the student concerned to ensure their comfort.

"Vodbull is a 100 per cent student only event, with onsite medical support and the venue performs searches on entry. We pride ourselves on years of high customer service to ensure Vodbull events are both safe and enjoyable."

Have you had something similar happen to you on a night out in Brum? Message us on Facebook and let us know.