QUB to build two new halls in the city centre

Soz Elms

Queen’s has made a deal to build two new student halls sites in the city centre by 2018.

The £70m deal made with Tyrone-based property developer McAleer and Rushe is set to create 1,200 new student rooms in Belfast city centre. The plans will see the new rooms built across two sites in the city centre, one being the former Belfast Met campus.

QUB are looking to expand beyond Elms Village

The application for building plans is yet to be approved by Belfast City Council but Queen’s hopes to have the new student sites completed by Summer 2018. Queen’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Patrick Johnston said: “As an anchor institution in the city, this substantial investment again demonstrates the commitment of Queen’s to the development of Belfast as a learning city.

“As part of Queen’s ambitious plans for growth, this much-needed student accommodation within walking distance of Queen’s, city centre amenities and transport links, will ensure the university continues to attract the brightest local, national and international students to study in Belfast.”